Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:54:45 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Fuel Pump on 1600tc
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuel Pump on 1600tc  (Read 11205 times)
beardy bloke

« on: September 24, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »

I have recently bought a TVR 1600m which has a Fiat 1600tc i would like some advice about which would be the best fuel pump to fit .At the moment it has a German Hardi pump which not only makes a lot of noise but probably may not be putting enough pressure into the carb.It has been suggested that i fit a Red top fuel pump but i have seen a pump made specifically for weber carbs ,would this be better.The engine runs ok but it seems to run out of steam when you put your foot down hard ? could this be due to the pump or the carb?.I would appreciate any advice.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:25:27 PM by beardy bloke » Logged
keith m 131

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »

Hi Beardy,

I use a Solid State electric pump on my 2ltr with standard weber 34 adf carb and it runs excellent. It cost approx ?45.

You could google it or ring Northampton Motorsport on 01604766624 thats where I bought mine.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Keith
beardy bloke

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »

Thanks for the advice ,someone else suggested a solid state pump but theirs was fitted next to the fuel tank .Is this the case with yours?.My current fuel pump is in the engine compartment,can or should i try to fit a solid state pump into the engine area or would i be better of with a different pump?.It would probably be easier for me to fit in engine compartment as the wiring is already in place, any suggestions?.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

Electric fuel pumps are optimised as "push" or "pull" pumps. If you want to have the pump in the engine compartment then make sure you choose a "pull" pump.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
keith m 131

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »

Hi beardy,

In my opinion electric push pumps are best. I fitted it approx 6 inches forwards of the tank. No more fuel starvation at high revs.

Keith
beardy bloke

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »

Thanks for the advice ,as an alternative i have found that i can get a mechanical fuel pump which is supposed to be suitable for a 2ltr upto 133bhp,what would be your opinions about this option.My engine has a mechanical pump fitted at present but not working.
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 06:57:17 PM »

I've never used an uprated mechanical pump personally. Most people who run sidedraughts seem to use electric pumps.

I'd be tempted to go for one of those as suggested above.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »

I have recently bought a TVR 1600m which has a Fiat 1600tc i would like some advice about which would be the best fuel pump to fit .At the moment it has a German Hardi pump which not only makes a lot of noise but probably may not be putting enough pressure into the carb.It has been suggested that i fit a Red top fuel pump but i have seen a pump made specifically for weber carbs ,would this be better.The engine runs ok but it seems to run out of steam when you put your foot down hard ? could this be due to the pump or the carb?.I would appreciate any advice.

When using carbs it is very important the pressure is not too high, normally the Hardi item is quite appropriate for this task (I am running one in my Alfa 2000 GTV - 131 HP - without any problems). When considering a Facet pump, do not use the Red Top, the throughput of this pump is much too high for a 1600cc engine - go for the Silver Top (I am running this in my 131 2000TC).

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
beardy bloke

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 06:25:48 PM »

Thanks for the advice Robert it has been suggested that i fit a fuel regulator to restrict the flow rate, i have seen a data sheet that sugests that i need a pressure of 6PSI for the 1600tc but i have no idea of what flow rate i would need. The weber i have is a 32ADF 14/250 would i need to check what this carb would need ? . The original problem i had was that the engine responds very well but if you put your foot down too quickly, even at low speed, then the engine gets very short of breath.I felt that the fuel pump/carb was to blame and was going to start with the pump as this seemed to be making a lot of noise when the engine refused to run properly the other day .Engine is back running well now but i am concerned that the response may be the same if i push it.The engine and car have been driven very little in the last 8 years but does respond quite briskly i would like to get this prblem ironed out so i can use the car to its full potential any suggestions would be helpful!.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »

My two pennies worth:  Wink
I might be talking total rubbish but it's just my opinion  Grin

With a 32ADF carburettor I would just fit a standard mechanical pump and it'll be fine. Certainly be very quiet!  Cheesy

The noise from your pump when the engine wouldn't run may be because it was running dry i.e. not enough fuel running through it. If you have a filter between the tank and the pump then change that first and make sure you don't have any restrictions on kinks in the fuel lines.

A pressure regulator will regulate the pressure and not the flow. You need about 5psi pressure for any carburettor. It doesn't really matter what kind or colour of fuel pump you have as long as it can supply enough fuel and as long as you have a pressure regulator to regulate (reduce) the pressure at the carburettor. Any electric pump will supply enough fuel for a 1600TC with a 32ADF carburettor.

Having said all of the above I'm fairly sure that your problem is not with the fuel pump but with the carburettor. You said "foot down too quickly, even at low speed" makes the engine short of breath and that makes me think that your problem is with the carburettor. Start by checking the accelerator pump for blockage in the jet or split in the diaphragm or broken/weak diaphragm spring or  maybe even bad adjustment.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafiori76

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 08:12:18 PM »

I had a similar problem. In the end it was a blocked filter.  Undecided

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »

I had a similar problem. In the end it was a blocked filter.  Undecided

It often is  Sad  That's why I said "If you have a filter between the tank and the pump then change that first "  Wink

I should have also said "Make sure the filter is the right way round!" Fuel filters are designed to flow best in one direction and I've seen many of them fitted the wrong way round.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafiori76

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »

Better to leave it at all. I'm driving my car for years without any filter. Never had problems ever since.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
keith m 131

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »

Hi Beardy

What position ie. what height is the current tank fitted in the TVR. The reason I ask is that in the original 131 the tanks were fitted upright behing the rear seat in the boot, which would produce a gravity feed to assist the mechanical engine mounted pump. If your tank is lower then the pump may be struggling to suck sufficient fuel from the lower level tank position over the distance required.

You can easily check this by disconnecting your fuel supply hose to the pump and put it into a petrol can and run your engine, that will instantly confirm if the problem is fuel starvation resulting from inadequate fuel supply. If the engine still runs the same then its the carb.

But if I was a betting man I would put my money on the problem being in the carb.

Regards

Keith
Tas131

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »

The original problem i had was that the engine responds very well but if you put your foot down too quickly, even at low speed, then the engine gets very short of breath.

You don't have a fuel pump issue, you have a carburetor accelerator pump issue. Possibly torn or cracked diaphragm. Looking down the carb (engine off), if you pump the accelerator, do you get petrol squirting into the carb?
I ran my 2 litre with twin IDFs from a standard mechanical fuel pump and had no starvation issues.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.