Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:54:12 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Repairs and upgrades to a 1585 TC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Repairs and upgrades to a 1585 TC  (Read 23745 times)
124CC

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

The 1.6 cams are 238deg with 9.4 lift and and the 2lt ones are 250deg with 9.9 lift.

I have calculated the compression ratio to be around 9.8

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:45:50 PM by 124CC » Logged
131rally

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »

9.8-1 with how long distance between piston and cylinderhead deck?
124CC

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »

Ι am not sure about the distance. I'll check my calculations and get back to you.
In the mean time I feel like a convict that has to do hard labour.

Since half of the engine is missing I thought that it would be a good idea to paint the engine compartment.
I would never imagine that I would have to remove tons of the insulation the previous owner had splashed everywhere.

* DSC00427.jpg (412.45 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 765 times.)
131rally

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »

The distance is very important to know, and you must take it to your calculations. 1mm of distance makes over 5 millilitres. So if you should have 0,8 and your having 1,8mm it makes a huge difference. 0,8mm mm distance mean if you have 1.2mm gasket, piston should come 0.4mm over the block deck. Usually in std engines piston is UNDER the block deck = your loosin CR and your not having proper squish. Some experts say if your having the distance between 1.0-2.0 mm it will make engine knock easier, over 2.0mm it wont do it, and if its correct 0,8mm its ok again. But ofcourse, you need to make the CR fit to your cams, and your having pretty mild cams. Propably forexample 10.5-1 may be too high CR with those cams. Cannot tell for sure though.
124CC

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »

I found out that the pistons I installed are not the biggest dome available but one size smaller so I will compensate for the lost compression ratio by using a custom made very thin metal gasked.
The estimated CR with the thin gasket will be btw 9.8 to 10.
The Regata 100s head is ready to be placed together with the adjustable cam gears and the twin 40 IDF carbs and I reached to the point where I will have to choose cam setup.
I will send a pair of cams I have for re-profiling so I will be able to set them up as I choose.

Googling on the internet I stepped on the catcams page where they have various setups for all kinds of use so I was thinking something like the 1900314 or 1900316 since the car is used for historic rally events.

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Fiat_Argenta__Croma__Regata__Ritmo_90_100_105TC__Tempra__Tipo__1600_-_2000cc.html

Opinions?

124CC

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 06:17:41 AM »

Following my previous post, I found some comments from Guy Croft regarding grinded camshafts which are quite disappointing:

"
1. Lousy torque - even compared with standard cams
2. Fuel standoff at the carb (the more radical the cams the worse it gets)
3. Broken valve springs
4. Valves and seats hammered to bits

The best place for 8V TC regrinds is in the scrap bin. "

I would like to know if anybody here has personal experience from regrinded camshafts.
My camshaft options are limited and regrinding a pair of existing ones was the more viable soloution so any comment will help.

Thank you!
POQ 131

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »

You find a good cam grinder who knows his stuff & tell him all that you are using (carbs, head, cr, exhaust, bore & stroke, valvesize etc.) & tell him what you want it to do. ie, Pull low down to midrange or scream its lips off & he will know what to do.
The bad reports on re ground cams have something to do with boy racers who slap some found cams in & expect to go like Stirling Moss. Every thing else is miss matched & badly timed but that does not matter to them, the cams are still shit.
O.

O.
124CC

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 09:22:40 AM »

Finally I decided to take the camshafts to one of the two camshaft repair and upgrade shops in my area.
(My budget does not allow me to get new ones anyway)
I was quite satisfied from their attitude.
They took the time to answer all my questions and explain the process.
According to my engine specs they suggested 280 degrees duration for both intake and exhaust and 10.4 valve lift. (I think it is Colombo & Bariani profile)
Depending on the material that will be removed, the clearance will be between 0.4mm and 0.5mm
They also explained how they should be installed and the way they should be timed.
They also provided me details on how to setup the twin IDF  carbs I have for optimum performance.
As for the camshaft carriers, they told me that there was minimum material removal from the camshafts so if I use paper gaskets for the carriers, which are thinner, it will compensate the difference.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:59:02 AM by 124CC » Logged
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »

Can you tell me the cost?

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.