Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:39:33 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Chemical stripping and electro coating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chemical stripping and electro coating  (Read 5840 times)
131rally

« on: November 30, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »

http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/ this process is very interesting. Its not available here in Finland. How it is done exactly? What is the chemical used for stripping the paint etc? I would like to test with small pieces in my own garage.
longhamrob

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »

I used this company in the refurbishment of my 131r.
The car was totally stripped & the shell taken by trailer to the company.
The car was submersed in a huge vat of acid. This acid takes of everything and destroys ALL the rust. It came back to me forensically clean & in pure bare metal form. I have never seen any car in this 'pure' state. It looked similar to a galvanised metal watering can.
The shell was returned to me peppered with holes everywhere but with only the good metal left it gives you a perfect starter state to weld.
The car was returned to them a few months later where it was dipped again (just to get rid of the surface rust accumulated since the last dip), then electro treated and finally dipped in a black undercoat so that when it came back to me it looked like a new shell straight off the production line.
I used them because, at this time, it is in my opinion by far the best way of refurbishment when a project needs to be perfect.   It is very expensive
131rally

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »

Yes, it really sound like the hest wqy to do the stripping. Is there somebody who knows the correct acid and how its washed away in the end?
106usj

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »

longhamrob.
This SPL process is the exact way I want to do my restoration just like you have done.
Can you give me a rough idea of the price. PM me if you dont want your spending public.
I really would like to know so I can budget my own resto.
Thanks.
longhamrob

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »

Please email me on r3bel299@gmail.com and i will tell you what it cost me.  I was extremely happy with the result.  Smiley
131rally

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 01:34:24 PM »

Doesnt anybody know what the stripping chemicals are?
sdebez

fiat 131 gr 4.5

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »

why can the cost not be posted on the forum?

sach
sid131

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »

why can the cost not be posted on the forum?

sach
Because some idiot will post negative comments about the price or whatever Angry
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:13:11 PM »

I think I know who you have in mind  Wink

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.