Old Chestnut! Gearbox oil.

<< < (3/3)

jseabolt:
Quote from: Thotos on February 03, 2009, 04:26:56 PM

NO! Never use an EP gear oil in a Fiat 131 gearbox. The EP (Extreme Pressure) additives can ruin a Fiat 131 gearbox because they will damage the brass in the bearings of the gearbox. The correct oil to use is Tutella ZC-90 or any GL3 specification gear oil. Do not use GL4 or GL5 specification oils as they are all EP oils.

Now a 90 grade gear oil has the same viscosity as a 30 grade engine oil so if you cannot get the Tutella ZC90 oil (available from most Fiat dealers) then use a straight 30 engine oil (available from most motor factors). In fact you can use multigrade engine oil in the gearbox but I wouldn't go for a modern and thin 5W/40 (or worse 0W/40) but go instead, as you rightly said, for a 15W/40 or a 20W/50.

I had been running GL-1 90 in my Yugo and it was very difficult to shift in cold weather (10F to 20F).  After swapping to 20W50, it now shifts as easy when cold as it does when warmed up and the engine doesn't struggle during warmup. I'm glad I did it.

The Yugo owner's manual says to use 40 weight oil but I've never seen it on shelves. Shell Rotella 30 weight is hard enough to find. That's what most older 1 cylinder engines use.

My 124 Spider doesn't like being shifted into 2nd gear when cold at any temperature until it warms up!

djape1977:
forget what manual says, whole ex-yugoslavia was and still is running yugo's with sae90 in the gearbox.

Aussie131:
Hey guys, we run a castrol gtx gear oil, 15w 40 in our 124 spider abarth and in my turbo panorama, with a nulon gear additive and it is fantastic, beautiful smooth shift, smooth and quiet even when you first drive off in the morning, ill get details on it tonight when i can, would highly recomend using the nulon additive, i was never a fan of them untill i tried it and im in love with it especially in these older gearboxes, we even run it in our punto grande sport abarth and its prolonged the life of the oil and gear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page