Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:31:48 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  which ones?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: which ones?  (Read 13208 times)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »

theo why dont you use studs and nuts

I didn't think one could do that with bolted wheels. Don't the nuts need to have the correct base taper to match the wheel bolt hole seat? Otherwise how can I be sure the wheel will be centralised properly and not end up with a lot of vibrations? 

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »

Theo - I dont think it's just the taper - Although I have been told that that is important to get right - It's also the relative strength of the metals in contact with each other. A steel bolt even of the correct taper will "ream" into the softer alloy of the wheel - At least that was my experience and I have heard from someone who kept tightening theirs until one day the wheel fell off the car ...but the bolts and centre section were still attached to the hub!!

I know that Brensports has successfully used alloy bolts from 132 Bellini wheels and Mark W also seems to have appropriate bolts from somewhere. Another topic for the pub at the weekend!!  Wink

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »

Sorry Kevin, I think you have been misinformed. I definitely do not want "soft" bolts holding my wheels on my car! Wheel bolts have to be strong as they have a tough job holding the wheels on.  If your friend's bolts and centre section of the wheel were still on the car then the bolts did their job of holding the centre of the wheel attached to the car; if the rest of the wheel fell off it must have been a defective or damaged wheel. I am sure 132 bolts are the way to go but I am also sure you'll find that they are as strong as the bolts used for your steel wheels.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 09:43:07 PM »

I think the argument is more about the compatibility of the metals than about relative strength - I've never heard of a bolt breaking but that does not mean it has not happened.

The example given of the wheel falling off the hub is because the bolts were continuously tightened until they almost broke through the wheel.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:28:06 AM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
bax131

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 02:26:29 AM »

The `banana' silver is the choice. But I'll colour it white to match the car (don't forget the centre emblem).

1977 Fiat 131S Mirafiori 1.6
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.