Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:05:40 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Alloy Wheel Reburbishment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alloy Wheel Reburbishment  (Read 19770 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »

Quick update - The powder coating option apparently is NOT an option as the applier of said application has said that the process will not deal with the surface imperfections.?

Last option now is that the reburbisher has just invested in a small hand held sander (high power and operated by air) that will access all of the hard to get to places - I imagine from the description that it must look a bit like that B&D mouse sander - But much more powerful

Again I am hoping to get one wheel finished later this week and I will try to bring my camera this time around!? Roll Eyes

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 11:50:59 PM »

He will be using what is normally called a die grinder.

I would implore you to again reconsider Collins Engineering in Bray, as anyone who is using a die grinder to polish out imperfections will never get the wheels as good as Collins will by giving them a light diamond cutting.

It's not too late to change your mind, yet....

all-italia.net
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 09:47:39 PM »

Verbal update is that one wheel has been finished prep wise and that the surface is now smooth enough to be painted. I'll get to have a look tomorrow or Saturday before making a decision on having all 5 done.

Thanks for the advice Graham - Depending on what happens over the next few days I might be coming back for a telephone number!!

Cheers

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 06:39:15 PM »

Hi all - Update now available.

I picked up the first wheel today and it is much improved. While not 100% perfect (I'm not sure that this was ever possible) it is 95% there and is certainly good enough to put on my car.? Grin Cool Tongue

Here are some before and after pictures. There are two coats of lacquer front and rear.

I expect to get the remaining 4 wheels next week when I will post photos of the full set. There is a small crack in one rim which will need a bit of repairing/welding but this will be the spare wheel anyway. I'm hoping that they will all be to the same standard!

I picked up a set of chrome wheel bolts from Ebay to complement the whole effect along with 5 brand new Pirelli P3000 tyres, I'm looking forward to the final look.? Wink

K

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 08:29:32 PM »

Looks very good to me  Shocked
I presume the gold-ish colour is because you didn't use a flash ?  Huh

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »

Well spotted Mr Bailey!!  Grin

I'm really looking forward to seeing them on the car.

Any news on your own wheels? Will you be re-shod by May?

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 10:31:28 PM »

Too many old cars with too many problems in my case to have time for 'minor' cosmetics like wheels  Undecided So probably my slightly tatty quadrofoglios will still be slightly tatty and on the car in May....  Embarrassed I've been asked by the FMC to take my 131 along to the Alexandra Palace show in a couple of weeks so I may try and pretty them up a bit by then...

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
leigh

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 12:09:29 AM »

The wheels look superb, hope the others come out the same standard now.....im sure they'll set the car off perfectly. Nice to see there's still one company can keep their word in Ireland, i've had too many bad experiences farming work out now

Simply sideways
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 08:19:56 PM »

Another picture with shiny new chrome bolts in place! You can get these (16) on Ebay USA for about ?60 delivered.

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 06:05:59 PM »

Two more wheels back, but two taken back because of imperfections - One of which was damage in transit ..

Very pleased with the next two and the other two will be fine as well once the cosmetic improvements have been made. The reburbisher also threw in a set of 5 chrome bolt shaped valves and caps which will show off the final result even more.

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2007, 11:31:33 PM »

Just to close off this thread, the new alloys were fitted today (with some complications) and the effect is better than I expected. Which eases the pain of the cost, wait and subsequent fitting problem ( see separate thread on Getting Ready for the 3MA (2).

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2007, 06:28:31 AM »

Does your missus know that you have driven your 'pride and joy' all over her back garden?? I bet she was out when you did it!! Grin Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2007, 10:32:29 PM »

Simon131 - That back garden is MINE and I need no-one's permission to park a 131 on it!? Wink

I cut/feed/weed/roll/sow/repair and otherwise nurture the lawns and I've calculated where to place the 131s on the evening of the 17th for a cool photo - Weather permitting.? Grin

Now if I had tried to park the car in the kitchen - That would be a different story!? Roll Eyes? Grin

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.