Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 08:39:27 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Car Suggestions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Car Suggestions  (Read 15313 times)
parrish

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »

Rob,
We own 5 (modified to 6 see below!) cars and a motorcycle:
1 x Ford Ka in UK and on wifes UK insurance. SAGA
1 x Mini Hustler Kit car in UK and on my UK insurance 'Lancaster' (maintains my UK no claims discount).
1 x 2009 Ford Fiesta in Spain on wifes insurance, 'linea direct' .
1 x BMW Z3 in Spain on my insurance, 'linea direct'.
1 x Fiat 131 in Spain (not currently insured).
1 x Harley 883R in Spain on My insurance 'Mapfre'
Im 50+ so insurance tends to be less than when i was in my younger days, not so sure why the insurance companies are penalising you for working out of the country, are they assuming you are driving the car out of the country, i do know when i worked offsore in the UK my premiums were high, thats because they expected the work hard play hard scenario of a 2 week 2 week rota to affect the way i was diving my cars! are you still looking for an orange 131? drop me a pm if so.

Too many cas ive gone and forgotten about the XR3i!
1984 XR3i in Spain on my Linea direct insurance.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:11:15 AM by parrish » Logged

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 01:47:10 PM »

In a previous life and as a UK based Motor Insurance underwriter, customers living overseas presented a higher risk to us compared with domiciled customers for reasons such as:

High likelihood of constantly swapping from driving on the left/right and the increased risk of "getting it wrong".

Not being available in the event of a court case where testimony from the policyholder could influence liability decisions.

The inherent moral hazard of paying less attention to local rules of the road/regulations if living overseas.

Also the "unknown" aspect of the risk - Never to be under estimated when actuaries are calculating premiums.

Having a portfolio of business with an insurer could help sway their opinion from an outright decline to acceptance but with additional terms and conditions. In my experience, it was generally an outright decline.  Sad

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
parrish

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

I can see the point when living abroad outside of Europe.
However i live in Europe! And i have a residential address in England and Spain, when applying for insurance i give me current address in the country the car is to be insured for.
Any one driving in a foriegn country should make themselves aware of the rules of that country before getting behind the wheel, their are countries i have been to where i refues to drive.
Plenty of contries accept a UK driving licence, if the law of the land accepts the UK licence surely the driver shoukd not be penalised when getting insurance. other countries have local driving tests which require to be passed before being. Allowed to drive.
It would be interesting to ask other country members if they have experienced the reverse scenario ie a German Italian or French resident insuring a car in his home country when working overseas, do they get penalised, or is it only the UK!

Rob 131

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »

Steve / Kev

Many thanks for the enclosed information Smiley. It has been forwarded to the relevant department (namely the wife).

Hopefully she will reconsider her current opinion of 'Awful Husband who is looking for excuses not to buy an Audi in England'  Huh Huh

Now I must get back to my logistical problems and the joy which is Ryan Air, EasyJet and Jet 2  Cheesy Cheesy.

Then the Hire Car(s)  Undecided Undecided

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 05:44:58 AM »

Maybe this is because I am a foreigner and not deep into the subject, but:

- considering your budget of up to 13k GBP and the idea of taking not an Audi but, let's say, a powerful Volvo V70/S80/whatever that can be obtained for around 3k GBP, this leaves enough money for any insurance. Why limit it down to just one car maker?HuhHuh

- when I was young, my cars were "officially" owned and insured by my dad, because premiums for young guys with a brand new licence here are very very high. Is this not possible in the UK to have a car insured by a relative? And take a written authority (hope this is the correct English term) with you, if be in several languages, stating you can use the car temporarily?Huh??

This is how that issue could be handled in Germany. Do UK regulations really differ that much?

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »

I've heard of this approach being adopted in both the UK and Ireland...and if you never have an accident ...then it rarely has negative consequences.

If there is an accident however...and the insurer discovers that the risk was mis-represented then there could be problems with payouts. When the consequences of a car accident can be so catastrophic it is generally unwise advice to try to "hoodwink" the insurance company.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:00:06 AM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
parrish

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 02:56:23 AM »

Kevin- i agree completely, the only way to ultimately get insurance costs down/stable is to tell the truth.
Unfortunately far too many whiplash victims!   about at the moment.
In my past experience i have always found it beneficial to tell the truth and in most cases if just changing wheel size or adding a tow bar etc insurance companies did'nt peanalise me.
Ive only made one insurance claim in my driving career (touch wood) and i benefitted from that by buying my car back, insurance man visited and wrote a perfectly good car off so that the garage where it was being kept could put it back on the road and make some money! (pre cat A B etc) little did they expect me to want to keep the car and put it back on the road myself, garage manager was mortified when i drove the car away (no mechanical damage only a dented front wing and door.)
A lot of drivers forget that after an accident the car still belongs to them and they can negotiate its return for a reduction in  any insurance payout.
As well as drivers 'hoodwinging' insurers, their are car accident insurance companies 'hoodwinking' accident victims.
 Be Honest Be Safe. Cool
Steve

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:01:25 AM by parrish » Logged

Rob 131

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 10:47:53 AM »

Robert

The problem with the insurance, is that the costs are so prohibitive it makes the whole thing not viable.

The cost increase (?3k to ?13k) with the more expensive car is only really the interest I would be losing on the ?10k. With interest rates being painfully low the costs are very minor.

There would however be increased depreciation on a more expensive car. However as we planned to keep it for a number of years this wouldn't be a mjor noticeable annual cost. There is also the issue of reliability where a '10' plate car (even with a higher then average mileage (say 45-50k Miles) would be more reliable then a ?3k car.

With regards to the Audi only part. Well I am a huge fan of the new Audi range. Moreover this is an 'us car'. Us being the Wife and I. She wanted a BMW 3 Series Saloon and I wanted a Alfa 159 2.0 Lusso Sportwagon. The Audi was the best compromise. Grin Cheesy

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

UK
Rob 131

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 02:13:12 PM »

I have just done the deal on a '09 Plate' Alfa 159 JTDM Lusso. It is finished in Alfa Red with Black Leather Interior. Lusso being the Luxury Version  Smiley Smiley.

I tried the TI Version (the more Sporty Type) but was put off by the Aluminium Backed Wing Mirrors, Drilled Metal Pedals, Ultra Low Profiles and slightly firm ride.

I did also try an Audi A4 2.0 TDI Sportline. I was put off by the unbelievably firm ride  Undecided Undecided. I was not impressed with the interior of the SE.

Pictures of the new car to follow.... 

UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 07:25:54 AM »

Well done Rob!  Cool Looking forward to the pics.  Grin Grin Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »

Here's the pics sent in by email:

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Rob 131

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »

After 4 years I unlocked the shed .... eventually  Roll Eyes and got out all my old car cleaning gear and various polishes, leather feed / cleaner etc. I then spent a most enjoyable day giving it a full valet.

I am really enjoying the Alfa and reminds me in some respects of my old 131 Sport  Smiley Grin
Must be some 131 DNA in there somewhere  Wink

Simon

I see you have purchased another 5 Series  Shocked Shocked. You must surely like them Smiley

UK
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.