Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:15:38 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Sad news of the passing of one of our friends
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sad news of the passing of one of our friends  (Read 14051 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: December 30, 2007, 10:40:14 PM »

On behalf of his family, who have asked us to notify the sad news, our friend and fellow Fiat enthusiast Gerry Kennedy has today suddenly passed on the next life. May he rest in peace.

On behalf of the classic Fiat enthusiasts in Ireland, the UK and further afield I would like to express my sincere condolences to his family and friends.

In a small tribute to our departed friend I can honestly say that Gerry was THE MOST COMMITTED Fiat enthusiast that I have EVER met in all of my travels - His whole life was given over to the collection and preservation of classic Fiats and he is likely to have been the owner of the biggest collection of Fiat 132s in the British Isles, if not the world.

On a personal basis Gerry has helped me innumerable times with advice and technical help as well as friendship and I will miss his irreverent wit and humour. He was never happier than when talking about his hobby ie old Fiats!

This is a picture of Gerry while treating my car to a rust proofing.

And the next one is Gerry relaxing in Killarney at 3MA07.

I will hope to be able to post funeral details tomorrow and where people attend it has been suggested that a fitting tribute would be to attend in your treasured Fiat or Italian classic.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:24:14 AM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:07:20 PM »

So many pieces of sad news at present. I myself have a funeral to attend tomorrow too.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
chris131

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »

What a shock! I met gerry many times and we sold him 2 fiat 132's and lots of parts. He was a true gentle man and a lover of 132's. He will be sadly missed throughout Ireland.

My sincere sympathy to all his family.

Connolly family
N. Ireland
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 12:15:53 AM »

Gerry was my father.

A more dedicated man to "the cause",
preservation, collection and enjoyment
of all things Fiat could not be imagined.

He really enjoyed your 3MA event, (as did I )
and meeting his peers, fellow Fiat enthuasists.

He has gone to the big Fiat Plant in the sky,
where corrosion is but a forgotton dream.

all-italia.net
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »

I too would like to express my sincere condolences to Gerry's family and friends; I was very saddened and shocked to hear of Gerry's death.

I had the immense pleasure and privilege to spend a day with Gerry in March last year and to be allowed to view his collection of Fiats.  I was also honoured to have him as a passenger for a day in my car at the 3ma in 2007 and in the very short time that I spent with Gerry I learned a lot about Fiats and life in general. He will be very missed.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 10:19:38 AM »

I heard this sad news via a text from Kev late last night. What a terrible shock to all concerned - especially his family and those who found him.

My sincere heartfelt condolences go out to all of those who loved him.

I met Gerry some years back at a Fiat Motor Club GB event in London and he was very very enthusiastic. His love of older Fiats, especially the 132, was infectious. In March of 2006 Theo, Kev and I were lucky enough to have a tour of his huge collection in Ireland, which included 132s (of course) and many wonderful, almost forgotten 60s Fiats.

Both a gentle man and a Gentleman, Gerry, you will be greatly missed.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
ger

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:16:43 PM »

As a member of the 131 forum family, my wife Claire and I wish to express to Gerrys family and many friends our deepest sympathy. Over the few months that i've being logging onto the site, reading ,looking and amaized at the knowledge of some of the members and passion in the posts, pics and replies .Gerry or Kennedyofsixmile often poped up. I didn't know Gerry personally but he will be a great loss and I wish him a happy passage on to the next life. God Bless.

Ger O'Meara (Roscrea)

Die Young at a Very Old Age.............3 times 131 owner(1300/1600cl & 2lt Gun Metal Grey Sport) and now the proud owner 01 Punto Sporting 1.2lt  6 speed 16 valve (black); 89 E30 BMW 316i; 96 Saab 900 ; and a 7 seater for the clan
eugene

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:37:48 PM »

Just to express my sympathy to Gerrys family on this sad occasion.As a mark of respect,could i suggest that no posts be posted on the forum(except relating to Gerry only)until he is laid to rest.Regards from Eugene O Sullivan,Bantry,West Cork,Eire

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
theredx19
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 01:41:03 PM »

Gerry was a true gent and a rare thing of these times he was a living legend as anyone with a Fiat would know this man or would have heard of him and his collection. I am proud to have meet this legend and to have seen how dedicated he was to his passion of Fiats and to see how willing he was to help anyone who needed his help or advice. As the last conversation I had with Gerry was on christmas morning and even on this day of rest he was helping to keep the Fiat spirit going but even as a man he made me feel welcome as I started my new life in his local area.
The Kennedy family have lost a great member but I think I can say on all our behalfs he will never be forgotten by anyone here.
Rest in peace Gerry "the infamous 132 man"
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »

Our condolences also from Holland. We never met before and will not meet here on earth in the future. But the way you talk about this Fiat-enthusiast gives me already a good feeling. I hope the family thinks back in positive memories to handle the future! Take care of the collection he made during his life!

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »

In March of 2006 Theo, Kev and I were lucky enough to have a tour of his huge collection in Ireland, which included 132s (of course) and many wonderful, almost forgotten 60s Fiats.

Photos of part of that collection can be seen at http://www.fiatmotorclubgb.org/Events/Ratoath/pages/P1000357.htm (use right arrow to scroll through the photos)

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
nigel131sport

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 04:14:59 PM »

my deepest thoughts are with gerry s family at this sad time, i had the privilidge to meet gerry and he showed me his collection of classic fiats,he was truly a fiat man,he will be sadly missed.
gerafiori
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 05:44:53 PM »

my sincere condolences to graham and the rest of gerrys family
at this sad time, i was lucky to have known this kind and pleasant
man,
gerry.

brensport
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »

Gerry Kennedy R.I.P
Removal of remains on Wednesday evening at 7pm for Church Of The Assumption, Ballyouskil, Arriving at 7:30.
Funeral mass on Thursday at 2pm, Followed by internment in the adjoining cemetery.

We're all devestated at loosing such a knowledgable, true friend.
Life just won't be the same.
Tristan

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 09:21:08 PM »

One of a kind , a rare entity , and a living FIAT legend in out time .  Go nDearna Dia Tr?caire ar Gerry agus a chlann. Rust In Peace.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.