Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:33:08 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Will a Lancia volumex eninge fit into 131 sport / racing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will a Lancia volumex eninge fit into 131 sport / racing  (Read 8794 times)
chris131

« on: June 01, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »

Hi all, I have been thinking about the idea of putting a lancia volume engine from a beta coupe into my 131 sport. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has done this before and if so what's involved?

Obviously the distributor position needs changed to a top mounted distributor driven off the exhaust camshaft but other than that are there any other difficulties / modifications that are required?

Any help / advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Chris
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »

Oil drain back holes in the cam boxes may need drilling lower down as the engine will now stand upright.

Do you have the correct engine mount holes in the block.

Flywheel. Starter and bellhousing should be okay from the sport.

Check the size of the exhaust.

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
mick131

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:06:09 AM »

Oil drain back holes in the cam boxes may need drilling lower down as the engine will now stand upright.

Yes they do, Guy Croft told me exactly that. I think he said the Beta engine is tilted at 20 degrees or so. Also sump and oil pick might need looking at too

Mick Wilson
Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire, UK.
Tas131

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 11:05:58 PM »

The crankshaft end is probably not machined deep enough to take rwd input shaft. A standard bearing will fit, but a few mm will need to be cut off the end of the gearbox input shaft so it doesn't contact the crank.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
parrish

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »

I did it with a strada engine.
I have the dimensions somewhere for the amount to cut off the end of the gearbox input shaft, I also have a bearing for the flywheel somewhere.
Drop me a pm if you do it.
I had a whole thread on the GC forum relating to the swap.

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=720

Regards
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
chris131

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll give your thread on the gc forum a read.
TOAD

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 11:12:10 AM »

CRANKSHAFT MOD.

As the 131 first motion/input shaft is meant to be supported in the end of the crank, shouldn't you be machining out the end of the crank to fit the bush/bearing as its supposed to have?   

We did it to one of ours by presenting the shop with a 131 crank and telling them to copy it across to the integrale crankshaft we were using. 

All fixed and working as it should.........

Tas131

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »

shouldn't you be machining out the end of the crank to fit the bush/bearing as its supposed to have?

The bearing fits in the crank, the end of the input shaft sits proud of the bearing and contacts the blind hole in the end of the crank. Taking a few mm of the shaft means it doesn't sit proud of the bearing, it's still fully supported by the bearing. Seems a lot easier than getting a crank machined.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
TOAD

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 07:49:39 AM »

Oh,  sorry there must be a difference.  I've been playing with Integrale type cranks which have no such bearing fitted at all, there just an infinished hole in the end.

I didn't realise fwd 8valves even had a first motion shaft that engaged with, long enough to, engage with the end of the crank.   Odd most don't in fwd cars.

But there you go  Smiley

Tas131

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 08:33:34 AM »

The Beta input shaft doesn't engage with the crank, but the crank end is machined for a bearing. At least the last one I looked at 20+ years ago was.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
parrish

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 08:58:09 PM »

You don't need to centre the input shaft with the back of the crank, simply cut the input shaft as per the dimensions on the GC thread, punch the centre out of the fly wheel and insert the relevant bearing into the fly wheel.
Input shaft is then nicely supported by the flywheel.

parrish

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »

If your going ahead with the engine change I think I have the bearing you will need for the flywheel.
SKF 63002-2RS1
Steve

daverwd

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »

I can agree with above SKF bearing number , have used it myself it fits exactly into flywheel center ... Also removed 4mm from the input shaft on gearbox
pavlos

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »

hi to everyone again i have the same problem   can you post some pic??
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.