Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:02:03 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Help fitting aftermarket alloy wheels
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help fitting aftermarket alloy wheels  (Read 4365 times)
Crazypierre

« on: September 13, 2014, 06:09:41 AM »

Hi Guys
OK, so I got my alloys and have some new long wheel bolts on the way via ebay.

But I have one other problem: on removing the skinny steel wheels, I notice there are these pointed locating spiggots that stick out of the hubs. From what I can see, these are used to help line up the wheel with the bolt holes so you can more easily thread in the bolts.

This is fine for the old steel wheels which have the female holes for the spiggots but the new alloys don't have these female holes.

So, logic would say, I need to unscrew the pointed spiggots from the hubs. (I think they have thin nuts on the end).

My question is, is it safe to remove these spiggots? What else might they be doing (holding the disks on?)

Also, in your experience do they easily come off or will they shear?

Thanks in advance.
Pete
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »

They do hold the disks on so if you remove them, which is easy to do, you should replace them with normal (10mm I think) bolts.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:18:57 PM »

Just cut the spike off and refit if it will miss the back of the rim casting.

Don't do them up tight, just a little to stop them coming out.

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
Tas131

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:45:05 PM »

They do hold the disks on so if you remove them, which is easy to do, you should replace them with normal (10mm I think) bolts.

I counter sunk the holes and used 90 deg head allen bolts to hold them on. The bolt head sits flush with the mounting face, and I use studs with nuts for the wheels, making mounting easier.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Crazypierre

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:55:41 AM »

Thanks all for your help but I've decided to refurbish and fit these original steel Mirafiori wheels as pictured.

So, these alloys and the brand new bolts I've bought for them are up for sale  in the For Sale forum if anyone wants to buy them please send me a personal message.

Cheers
Pete

* unnamed (8).jpg (56.54 KB, 711x533 - viewed 457 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.