Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 05:18:51 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 Rallying in Turkey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 Rallying in Turkey  (Read 6296 times)
Administrator
Administrator

« on: March 08, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »

Forum member Yagmur from Turkey used to drive 131s competitively in Turkey and has sent us by email the  photo below from his 1982 archives.

Maybe Yagmur can tell us a bit more about the photograph, the rally and how well he did on this occasion  Cheesy

* yagmur.jpg (98.54 KB, 640x426 - viewed 776 times.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:27:49 AM by Administrator » Logged
Administrator
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »

Forum member Yagmur has been in touch by email and said the 131 above did not belong to him and it was driven by a lady driver at the Gunaydın Rally of  Turkey and came 10th overall. It's good to know there are ladies out there who also appreciate 131s.

Yagmur also sent in by email the photos of the Tofas Works cars below with the following message:

These pictures are the works cars of Tofas. The 124 they entered in the 1974 London to Munich Rally and finished 8th overall.The drivers were: Ali Sipahi and Azmi Avcıoğlu.

The rally was very long, started from London and went to France, Portugal, Spain, all over Africa, Turkey, Greece, Yugoslavia, Austria, Munich and Germany.

Tofas made the body in Turkey (they made the screens from plexiglass, light door panels) and sent the car to İtaly--Fiat Company. They put a standard 1600cc engine, an LSD and good suspension. This car now is at Tofas Museum. Formula 1 driver Stirling Moss, Andrew Cowan, Shekhar Mehta, etc..entered this rally also.

The 131 drivers were: Azmi Avcıoğlu and Beyza Avcıoğlu, (wife&husband team). They became Turkish Rally Champion in 1977 with this car. The car was red in colour with black wheel arches. It was 1300cc, with double Weber 45 DCOEs, Abarth gearbox, Colotti LSD, Bilstein suspension, Cromodora 13 inch wheels, Cibie spot lights, Dunlop tyres, Momo steering wheel. The dashboard was same as 131 Abarth(Turkish made).

Best wishes
Yagmur

* TofasWorks124.jpg (133.09 KB, 800x478 - viewed 787 times.)

* TofasWorks131.jpg (159.75 KB, 800x480 - viewed 748 times.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 02:55:59 PM by Administrator » Logged
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:16:13 AM »

Absolutely brilliant photos!!! Took me right back to those great days of rallying!!!

Theo, I like your comment regarding 'ladies out there who also appreciate 131s'. I hope my wife does Grin I foolishly let the MoT expire on her BMW? Angry- and today she's using the Abarth for the school run Shocked

At least my son appreciates it? Cool Cool Grin Cheesy He thinks it's cool to be taken to school in a red rally car, but the wife is rather worried about the left hand drive!! Undecided

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »

So why couldn't you take the Abarth and give your BMW to your wife? I bet it's because she really wanted to take the Abarth to school. I can see all the mums standing outside the school saying "so have you got twin downdroughts on that or have you kept it standard...."

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »

Long story but basically -

1) I drove it from home to my work at Heathrow (and back again!) in yesterdays rush hour, via the M3 and M25 which was OK to a point, but the crumple zones on a 31 year FIAT are not as good as the car I nearly ran in the back of after all of the traffic went from 65mph to zero mph in three car lengths!! Shocked Shocked Brakes worked well though!! Grin

2) 31 year old electrics struggle - especially when lights, heater fan, wipers and heated rear window are all on together! I even got a spark or two yesterday!! Undecided

3) I have to swipe my identity card past a reader to gain access to staff car parks - see what's coming here? - my Abarth is left hand drive and all of the readers are therefore on the wrong side of the car! Oh, and there are three gates to get through!! the people in the cars behind tend to get a bit ratty! Grin Grin

4) I currently have no radio in my Abarth - so can't hear the traffic reports. Not that this is really a very valid reason as the sound of the constantly resonating exhaust drowns out everything else! Roll Eyes

5) I have to park it in a car park that is also used by trucks and vans.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »

OK, valid points. I certainly know the problem of being on the wrong side of the car when I had to negotiate all the toll booths from the wrong side all the way from the UK to Turin and back. Even the ticket machine at the UK side of the Eurotunnel was on the wrong side! Undecided Angry

But go on, tell us how many times you've called your wife to make sure the car managed the school run without any problems...  Huh  Grin

Surely you are going to fit some sounds before going to the 3MA? I have an original  Voxhon radio somewhere....

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Administrator
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »

Forum member Yagmur has emailed another rallying photo from his archive. The 131 below is another works car of the Tofas Rally Group. The colours were yellow and green with black wheel arches.

Thanks Yagmur for sharing your photos with us.   Smiley

* tara0006.jpg (190.96 KB, 1096x705 - viewed 751 times.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:42:57 PM by Administrator » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.