Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:17:20 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  KONI adjustable shock absorber-131 Racing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KONI adjustable shock absorber-131 Racing  (Read 21240 times)
david

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »

As far as road use goes, I personally have not had any trouble with 131 sport standard setup if its all in good condition, I  agree the power steering versions of the later mk3 super are a bit light on the steering but you get used to it, now if you were on about the brakes they were rubbish but again a lot better with fiat original pads but still rubbish
djape1977

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »

in my experience, just put some fat soft compound tyres and handling is transformed.

get a bigger hammer!
TOAD

Green Eye Motorsport - Home Of The Toad

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »

Hi Chaps

Have you not noticed the rear end brakes away very fast after about 30Deg of slip. I think the reason for this is the top links are steering the back axle slightly. More rear end grip gives more roll and more rear end steer.

Roger............

Video of Big Toad Build up.   www.youtube.co.uk/evotoad
david

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

I used to steer 131s by using the power through the rear which is what made them fast through the twisty bits so this is a positive thing not a negative
TOAD

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 04:39:41 PM »

I agree, for loose,  but when you are on top end tarmac tyres, the brake away point can be very rapid, and sideways is slow on tarmac, well apart from a little/small angle of drift. 

Roger...........

david

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »

on road its ok but you need tyres where the walls are strong or the car will wallow like a boat
TOAD

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »

Do you mean stiff side walls, or low profiles tyres?  the tallest I've ever tried are 60's  Toad and Poo (family Cars)  were both used on 50's

sid131

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »

Limited slip diff & sideways up the road Grin Grin Grin
djape1977

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »

fulda y2000+ 205/60
soft sidewall

get a bigger hammer!
david

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2009, 05:03:31 PM »

60 section tyres, but a lot of these tyres nowadays are very soft walled so they move before the car does, Nick havent had one with a limited slip diff so couldnt comment on those
TOAD

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2009, 05:21:34 PM »

Maybe its the difference the slipper makes, which was allot, lots of extra grip that is trying to over load the suspension. There is also the point that if larger tyres are put on the normal 131 rims, this will cores the side wall to roll around, I think Toad was on about 8inches as a road car.

But there you go, its all just different approaches to the same problem.

djape1977

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »

most of us here don't do rally driving, just sometimes over entusiastic road use. for me 205/60 is just fine, tyre is too wide for sidewall to bend too  much and they still provide decent ride comfort. lower profile tyres are fine for racing, but for everyday use they tend to make the ride rock hard.
btw, for 205 tyre 7" wide rim is optimal. on standard 5,5" rims 195 is max

get a bigger hammer!
TOAD

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »

Ya agreed,  but 8" stiffens/quicken the tyre response.   But then this is probable why every one said I had the put Toad on the track and not wast it, maybe it was a little over the top as a road car, but we used it ever day as family transport. In fact, the nurse was quite surprised to try to put my first born in the car through the roll cage bars. (4door)  The engine was nothing to shout about (150ish) but it did handle and brake well.
  Going to build another road one later so we will all be in the same basket again.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.