Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:11:07 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  My car won't start....!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My car won't start....!  (Read 6931 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: January 06, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »

This was the problem I faced on new years day after a 100km classic car run. It was transported to my local garage who after employing the services of an auto electrician think that they have diagnosed a problem with the ignition switch.

The symptom initially was a healthy turn over with the key but no inclination to fire. Since the auto sparky had a play the car can be successfully started but as soon as the key is released it cuts out. To maintain the engine running the key must be kept pressed in against the lock and in a certain position.? Huh

My garage have asked me to source a replacement ingition switch barrel and key (for a series 3 ideally) or failing that the wiring and plastic piece that fits to the aperture of the removed barrel. I've attached some pictures of the existing unit so that I can explain more easily.

Can anyone help with either a new or secondhand working ignition barrel and key - Ideally for a series 3 car? Many thanks. Failing that if just the plastic insert is available that may suffice.

Thanks in advance.

Ignition barrel with plastic insert removed.

Ignition barrel with plastic insert in place

Plastic insert removed.

On this picture you can see 3 brown pins - The 2 next to each other are spring loaded and return to their extended position when they are released. The 3rd is permanently depressed and does not spring back to an extended position. My mechanic thinks that this is the cause of the failure of the engine to keep running. At least it is worth replacing the apparently faulty part with a new one to see if the problem is fixed.

Sheer bolts also required with the ignition barrel although if not available I may be able to secure an alternative from a local engineering company.

If a complete series 2 switch is available the following picture shows the block connectors - They may be similar or different.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:25:18 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
brensport
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »

Hello Kev,
               The only difference between the series 2 & 3 is the 3 has a double sided key. Your mechanic is correct in diagnosing one of the pins being stuck down, this could indicate burning inside the unit. You would be better off to use your own barrel & key, as this fits the doors & boot lock aswell. So just change the little unit. I have both to suit you plus sheer bolts for collection or delivery whenever suits. Bren.

* jse_IMG_0723.jpg (81.71 KB, 375x500 - viewed 617 times.)

* jse_IMG_0724.jpg (79.45 KB, 375x500 - viewed 616 times.)
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »

Bren - You are a star - How many Irish 131s have you kept on the road now.  Wink

I'll text you my address for posting if you dont mind. Plastic insert & bolts would be fab - I'll be having close look out to replace them for you - If anyone else has surplus supplies please let me know and I will buy them. Ta   Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
brensport
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »

N0 bother Kev there on there way hope it gets u out of trouble 
chris131

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »

Hi kev, I have some, along with sheer bolts aswell.
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:45:16 PM »

Fab - I'll PM you.

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:33:06 PM »

Also it is worth bearing in mind,that with cold frosty weather,batterys can decide to call it a day,or may get lazey.
This morning i had to take a pair of batterys to a Cat320 excavator as the batterys had become lazey due to the cold.
A lazey battery could have burnt your ignition pin Kev due to arking and current draw.It's a possibility Wink.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion Eugene but the battery is quite strong being new.

Anyway the replacement part came through from Brendan in the post today, fitted and the car is purring again. Thanks again to Brensports.

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
sid131

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »

cool pic Kevin glad you are now sorted.
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 10:54:09 AM »

i need one now ..  Angry did you drop the coluaum and drill out the bolts.. i need the plastic insert as i ve just payed out  ?5.95 for a fiat key i only had the sevice key and 1 normal key

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »

Hi Jason - I didnt do the work personally - My local garage did the work but I believe that the bolts had to be removed in a way that they were no longer useable - I believe that they were designed that way.

Yagmur can supply replacement kits (entire system including keys and barrel) for ?20 plus postage.  Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.