Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 12:31:00 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Changing LHD Sport to RHD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Changing LHD Sport to RHD  (Read 5079 times)
ros

« on: November 23, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »

Hi folks,looking for some feedback on the possibility & possible problems in converting my Left hand drive sport to Right hand for our Irish roads. All thoughts are welcome? ?Shocked

'76 1600s mirafiori & '79 Sport owner. Thurles Co. Tipperary Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:12:11 PM »

Should be pretty easy if you have all the bits. You will need:

Dash
Steering Rack
Column
Wiring loom
and possibly other bits that may be different. A scrap RHD car would be ideal!

From what I remember, the bulkhead and dash supports are mirror image so some cutting of holes etc should allow you to fit everything to the other side. I think the holes are all marked in the pressing on the other side so Fiat could use the same bulkhead for LHD and RHD cars (common sense)

Mercedes on the other hand have bulkheads that are specific for one or the other, so a conversion on a Mercedes is not really an option!

This sounds a common sense thing to do to me if you want a sport but can only find a good LHD one. if you need any help or advice just let us know  Grin

I'm in England, but I do have some RHD parts from cars I have broken if you need anything...... 

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
parrish

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:25:28 AM »

Wiring!!
From what i can remember (im not at home at the moment) the fuse box and relays are  located on the bulk head at the opposite side to the steering gear.
Wiring looms are handed,  a good deal of extension wiring would be needed in order to change from LHD/RHD, alternatively you could try and find a RHD car and remove the parts of the wiring loom that you require.
Is it worth all the hassle, driving a LHD car on RHD roads becomes second nature after a while.
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 08:26:13 AM »

I think changing the complete wiring loom would be the easiest option. I would say it is worth the hassle. A RHD sport is always going to be more suitable for everyday use than a LHD one in the UK or Ireland. As well as this it would look to everybody like a genuine RHD sport and people would not necessarily be able to tell that you had imported it from Italy or the continent.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »

I shouldn't change it on a good original car as yours Huh

And it makes driving this way only more special Wink

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
gerafiori
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »

if you need any bits iam cutting up my spare rhd sport
gerry
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 08:03:41 PM »

Cutting up a sport Shocked You should put it on ebay and make some money! Grin

gerafiori
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »

not cutting it up now due to fellow 131 fan supplying me with the roof skin that i needed Smiley
ros

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »

Hi guys still confused Undecided as to what I'm going to do. It looks as if it is quiet a challange especially as my doner car is not quiet as 'good' as I was led to believe. I'm still going to have to locate a good dash, any surplus rhd dashes in good condition for sale?HuhHuh Lips Sealed and possibly a rhd loom.

'76 1600s mirafiori & '79 Sport owner. Thurles Co. Tipperary Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:06:13 PM »

I'm sure I have a good used dash somewhere. If you are interested let me know.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.