Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:12:59 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  A Better 131 for sale.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Better 131 for sale.  (Read 12007 times)
mirafioriman

My next project......

« on: July 22, 2008, 01:34:55 PM »

Just seen this on Ebay Italia:

http://cgi.ebay.it/FIAT-131_W0QQitemZ130240358072QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130240358072&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308

Looks like a nice example, currently 1 bid of 500 Euro!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:37:07 PM by mirafioriman » Logged

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Alfaguy

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »

Just bought this car.  Cheesy

I have been on the lookout for a good series 1 Mirafiori 131 for quite a while now and this fits the bill nicely. Its not a supermirafiori - not even a sport just a humble 1.3 but that is what I wanted.
I now just have to figure out where 'San Salvatore di Cogorno, Italy' is - anybody any ideas.

Look forward to driving it back. Cool 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130240358072&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »

Congratulations! It looks great! Reminds me of my first 131 which was a Series 1 in the same colour (although mine had the 1600cc engine). We never had 1300 'Specials' in the UK.

I believe Cogorno is South-east of Genoa and about 800 miles to Cherbourg for your overnight ferry direct to Ireland.

Join us for the drive back to Turin on 3ma09 next year?

* map.jpg (205.33 KB, 739x542 - viewed 562 times.)

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »

Fantastic news - 131s are soon going to outnumber Cortinas in Ireland! ?Wink Grin

Hope you are clued in to the October and 3MA09 classic Fiat events!

Lovely looking example and the very best colour for any series Mirafiori in my opinion. (Except black for a Sport). Not a bad price either if it's rust free, complete & original - Which it very much looks like. Congratulations! ?Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:51:52 PM »

Theo you are incorrect.Cherbourg is to Rosslare.Alfaguy should go to Rosscoff to Cork.Thats the shortest route for going to Co Kerry Wink.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
Alfaguy

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »

First fly in the ointment. It seems importing a car from Italy is far from easy with a lot of red tape.

To avoid much of this I am considering going over with my Landcruiser and car transporter and just loading it on it. That way I would have no hassles with road tax and insurance etc. I am a bit uneasy anyway about driving a 32 year old car such a long distance - even though it would be an epic drive if I could. 

The main thing is to get it back with its original registration document - if I can't no money will change hands and this deal will fall through. Cry

I would appreciate any advice anyone has about importing a car from Italy to Ireland. I will inquire with my local VRT office tomorrow anyway but let me know if any of you do.  Undecided   
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 06:05:22 AM »

Hi Alfaguy,

Imported two 131s from Italy now, my Abarth in 2004 and my Racing a year later, but these were imported to the UK and not Eire, although the Italians will still be the same in their dealings. Incidentally, I drove both of them home from different parts of northern Italy, and both journeys were extremely memorable - for a number of both good and bad reasons Wink

The Italians are extremely reluctant to let the car go with the plates and log book as both have to be presented to the local Italian police to 'de-register' the car, otherwise the seller continues to be liable for all taxes, etc on it.

When I purchased my Abarth I left a 250 euro deposit with the owner, on the understanding that it would be returned when I sent him back the plates. Needless to say it has not! They did let me have the original log book though, which I later returned.

When I purchased my Racing a year later no such deal was made for the plates and they wouldn't let me take the original log book either. What they did though was to get an 'official copy', which was stamped by the local town hall and signed by the Mayor. Politics is totally different in Italy and the town Mayor is a very important figure head.

On both occasions I was able to register the car easily in the UK, although getting the cars passed through an MoT (which they need here before they can be registered) was a different story Roll Eyes as the UK standard for 'old cars' far exceeds the Italian one!

If I can be of any further assistance just ask. Always happy to help.

BTW - I'm a fan of the series 1 131 too - I have three now including the Abarth Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:26:36 AM »

Like Simon I've imported an old car from Italy but seemed to have a much easier time of it.

The car was for sale by a classic car dealer and I had negotiated the inclusion of the plates in the deal. The seller made no request to return either the log book (original document) or plates simply mentioning that the authorities in Ireland would retrieve them from me as part of the Irish registration process - which did not happen! It's now 2 months later and the seller has not contacted me about it. Maybe the fact that the car had been off the road since 1995 meant that it was the equivalent of "sorn'd" in the UK..?

For insurance I covered the car with my existing company and popped an insurance windscreen disc on the window which satisfied les flics both in Paris and Cherbourg.

Looks like I had an unusually easy time of it although your car has plates still fitted so you might be lucky in being able to keep these.

From dealings with the VRT office here I get the impression that you could register a car without any official paperwork - You might be asked to get a garage letter stating the particulars. Having a photocopy of the original should be enough I would say. Watch out though for the new CO2 VRT rates - You could be asked for over ?700!

Mechanically? Obviously none of us can comment there. If the car has a Revisione (local NCT) that may give some comfort. You could always do a recce and fly out and back on a cheap flight to assess the road worthiness. Might be a good investment as the cost of taking the Landcruiser and trailer will add significant cost to the importation costs. Probably a lot more than it would to have it professionally transported to Cherbourg.

Best of luck with what ever you decide and keep us informed of your adventure!? Wink

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:52:43 AM »

Don't know what all the fuss is about.If a Lada can make it to Mongolia from Cork Wink,surely a 131 can make it from Italy to Co Kerry!!!! Roll Eyes.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
Alfaguy

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:19:33 AM »

Just been on to my local VRT office. All they need is the official copy of the registration document and ?50 for the VRT. As its over 30 years its exempt from Co2 ratings and they said not to worry about that.
I emailed the seller to get the official copy and that he could then keep his registration plates and original registration cert.

I had considered commercial transportation but would be too nervous the car would be damaged in transit so will collect it myself on the transporter.

I know its the dull way to do it but I just don't want any hassle from the police on the journey or messing around with deposits and posting back registration plates etc.

My only worry now is the lack of information being received from the seller.

Well he can't say I tried - but the ball is in his court for now - I will just have to wait and see. Undecided   
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »

I haven't had the pleasure of importing a car from Italy but from other dealings I've had with Italy and the Italians I'd say that getting limited information from the seller is quite normal. The Italians prefer to communicate in their own language so if you speak Italian or know someone who does it's better to contact the seller in Italian. But don't despair and don't give up for lack of replies from the seller, it's just the Italian way! It looks like a lovely 131 and it'll be a shame to loose it.

have it professionally transported to Cherbourg.

No, you must also be incorrect Kevin. Grin The car should be transported to Rosscoff  Grin Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Alfaguy

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 06:49:58 PM »

It looks like the seller just can't be bothered to go to the extra trouble to get my 131 sorted for me to take home. As I am dependent on his willingness to make this effort its not looking good that I will ever get my hands on this 131.

Anybody here know Italian and could email the seller for me through the ebay link and try and explain to him what has to be done.  He has not even given me his own email even though I have requested it.  Cry 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:51:29 PM by Alfaguy » Logged
Alfaguy

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:07:01 PM »

What about this one. Its a 79 - so not an official classic in Ireland until next year. Is the 1.3 too sluggish or would I be better waiting for a 1.6 or a sport perhaps?

Would I get away with storing it in my garage until next year and then getting it VRT'd. Probably not unless I can get the original registration document as a copy would have this year's stamp on it?   

Ah - that's a pity and I was really looking forward to my new 131.

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190238519779&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009
sid131

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »

Why buy a left hooker? wait & get yourself a rhd super or sport, just my 2 cents!
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 07:22:46 PM »

Of the 2 I'd prefer the series 1 - The twin headlights have a certain look for me over the single version.

The L is pretty basic trim and the 1.3 engine does not pull all that well from memory. How about a twin cam 1367cc Super?  Wink

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.