Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:02:25 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Heater control advice please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heater control advice please  (Read 4523 times)
Crazypierre

« on: May 27, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »

Hello Gentlemen,
Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction:
Its a problem with the heater control:
The warm control lever in the dash which used to stay in the "full on heat" position will no longer stay in the full on position. It is now springing back to the "low heat" position. It feels like its now spring loaded to stay off!
The cold control lever is fine and works as normal.
Has anyone seen this before?
Do you think its a problem at the control lever end (behind the dash) or do you think its at the heater unit end behind the centre console?
Thanks
Pete

mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »

This appears to be a common problem as I have had similar with a couple of my 131's. Not sure what the cause is. Both ends of the cable are in a similar area behind the centre consul/dash area. I would guess it is more likely to be the heater valve sticking and personally I would start with that.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
stathe174

131 S

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »

It's either that or the cables behind have been mixed up. But it's not a big problem.

My 131 Special went HISTORIC
Crazypierre

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:44:53 PM »

Hi
Thanks for your notes. I jiggled the not, cold and direction levers about some more and the hot seems to have loosened up. It now stay where it should!
Either the hot air control lever was snagging against the cold air control lever or the direction lever or as you say, the valve was stuck.
Either way, its free.
Thanks
Peter 
Crazypierre

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »

Hi Guys
Just thought I'd report back on the solution to this problem for anyone else who experiences it. Its stuck again recently and I tracked it down to the heater matrix valve. This is in the driver's footwell to the left near the centre console. There is like a round black plastic shroud that hides it from view and its right behind that.  Its the plunger for the heater valve. It gets stuck. I sprayed some WD40 onto the brass arm and it loosened up.
Now its fine.
Regards
Peter
mirafiori76

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »

Peter,

Make sure you spray some teflon in the cable. Because if the valve gets stuck again the outer cable will destroy the clam that holds in place. Also make sure the valve can move freely otherwise you will have the problem over and over again.

Mike

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.