Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:50:11 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Electrical problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Electrical problems  (Read 4281 times)
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« on: August 19, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »

At the moment I'm totally lost. Wanted to fix the electrical problems, as are:

- city lights are not working, only with the light swith on drive lights (switch fully pressed)
- hazard light not working (absolutely not) while indicators work perfectly
- headlights not working (no power on the lines)
- some lines that lead into the central electric should, from my understanding, be live wires. However, they are not, doesn't matter if ignition is on or off?

I have the original Fiat circuit diagram, however this contains no color code for the lines. And the second diagram I have seems totally useless.

I am not into electrics, so at the moment I am at my wit's end. Does anyone have a comprehensive circuit diagram? (Series 2 model).

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »

The indicators and the hazzard warning lights use different control units (relays) so the fact that indicators work means nothing about the hazards. It does however mean that the wiring to the bulbs is correct and working so check the hazard flasher unit (somewhere under the dash but I can't remember where).

The fact that you have several electrical faults and power missing from several wires would make me suspect the fuse box as every connection goes through there.  Take the fuse box out and ensure all the multiplug connectors are in the correct place and seated properly.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
cooter131

/1/3/1/

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »

What was the last thing you changed / worked on, before this happened?
Or it just happened out of the blue?

George K.
Athens, Greece

131 Special '77 (1300cc) 1977-1999
131 Special '76 (1600cc) 2007- . . .
Robert

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 05:33:22 PM »

The car had been taken apart completely, and I assume when putting it together again several electrical problems occurred and were not noticed and thus not been taken care of. So, I have to start from this point, without knowing what went wrong.

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
Robert

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »

One complete day of drudgery and the electrical problems are ... solved. However, one mess leads to another and I had to change the starter, because the connector for the small cable broke (can be soldered I assume, but I had a rebuilt starter in the garage anyway - so I can take care of the broken item one day). Awful work if you do not have a car lift at your disposal Sad. Most problems were due to the fact that the live wire from starter to fuse box was not connected. This fixed, all circuits except the drive lights worked (high beam ok!) - this was due to a bad wire connector that I fixed by simply cleaning it thoroughly. So, now the drive lights would work too - however, I will connect them via relays to get better lighting (had this already before, but now I will use even thicker lines and route it properly). Will make the wiring tomorrow or on Sunday. By the way, connecting the lights via relays is something I strongly advocate for every Mirafiori out there  Grin

So, one issue solved, others to come...

106usj

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »

Good to hear you got it all sorted.
My auto sparky also did the same & fitted relays to solve the poor lights, replaced all the spade connections replaced most of the head light cables in the engine bay. Also fited a good quality relay to the wiper circuit he also fixed my brown wire problem.Also as Theo said we found at least 3-4 loose wires in the fuse box & fuse box wiring.Replacing both earth cables with new cable and crimps also made a big improvment for me the car starts much better now.
As he said fixing the problems is the easy bit, its finding the fault thats the problem.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.