Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 08:53:56 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  3MA News and other events (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 S getting ready for 3MA15
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 S getting ready for 3MA15  (Read 6561 times)
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« on: April 29, 2015, 04:56:31 PM »

So, the Yellow Peril aka Primrose, is now MoT'd and has a new o/s lower track control arm, n/s/f wheel bearing and replacement anti-roll bar to TCA bushes fitted, but all that's actually done is make me realise that the other three wheel bearings are grumbling too. Roll Eyes Oh well, it's legal and it's safe, which is the main thing.

Was hoping to get my orange Special MoT'd for 3MA15 too, but what with certain pressing family issues that's probably going to have to wait. Undecided

Here's a pic of her taken at last year's Essex Run, with Phil, Tansy and my elder daughter, Shannon. Grin

* IMG_3822s.jpg (86.36 KB, 800x600 - viewed 581 times.)

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 08:34:44 AM »

I too have been planning for our annual extended road test. Whilst my new Super had all of the normal service items carried out when I got her last year there were other less pressing jobs that I wanted done in advance of any more events. The main one was a relatively tired suspension....with the occasional creak and groan. I collected the car from the garage last night with the following list of jobs done:

The clutch had been very occasionally slipping but not frequently enough to blame a worn clutch (I thought)?but we replaced it anyway. So light and positive now?and with early engagement. And the old clutch disc was well worn!
On the suspension front the shocks (Monroe), TCAs (Fiat), top shock mounts and sway bar bushings were all replaced?and it?s transformed from a soft and leaning 131 to a drum tight silent and responsive steed. Small steering inputs at cruising motorway speeds giving very predicatable results. I?ve yet to play on a dry twisty road but it feels like I?ll be happier. The TCAs were in a very bad way with one missing rubber and wear on the steel. Thanks to Mick131 for the original Fiat parts.
Swapping the soft Super engine and gearbox mounts (all new recently) for Sport versions really helps too and has firmed up a gear lever that was inclined to move around a bit on bumpy roads. I was afraid that the car might feel harsh but so far so good.
A new dash clock (as the old hands were faded and hard to read), connecting a warning light to the manual fan over-ride switch, replacing a leaking carb diaphragm, freeing up two central locking motors, fitting new RHD headlamps with 100w bulbs,  plus new air hosing in the engine dept and a new blue tinted driver?s door mirror completes the make over.

The only remaining jobs left are the headlining and replacement bumpers (current ones are resisting attempts at colour restoration) and I dont want to paint them. Thankfully Ele (Ricambi Storici) is on the case for a reasonable deal for a pair.

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
parrish

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:48:13 PM »

Looking good Simon,
I have a 1977 1.6 SEAT 131 in Spain and have found a local supplier with the odd new spare eg: I bought a new front and rear bumper just last year.
He has a  new pair (I think) with rubber inserts already fitted, not that you need them.
However ill be back in Spain from 13th May and im intending to pay him (actually its a her) a visit, if you can think of any odd bit of trim that you may be looking for let me know, better still send me a photo to my msn address and i can have a look for you, same goes for you Kevin.
Of course small bits I am willing to hand carry back to the UK, Bumpers and the like you will have to pay for transportation.
I replaced the chopped suspension with all new springs and shockabsorbers and then had it set up camber adjustement wheel alignment etc on a laser Jig (amazing to watch)and what a difference that made, also put some original size wheels on, it surprised me just how easy the steering is when all set up correctly.
Steve

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »

Thanks for the offer Steve.  Smiley

I always like to read about how members are upgrading or improving their 131s.

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »

Thanks Steve,

One thing that I'm always trying to find is suspension rubber suppliers, especially for the front. I've had a devil of a job finding a good local supply of cheap bushes, particularly for the anti-roll/sway bar. Yagmur keeps them and no-doubt I shall order a set from him very soon  Grin but if your local Lady Supplier has them that could be good. I found a UK supplier and they're quite cheap but he has limited supply and I have no doubt that when I come to MoT my orange Special it will need a set  Roll Eyes so the more suppliers we can find the better. Wink

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »

Kev. Thats a major restoration not a 3ma ceck over..

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 08:46:31 AM »

My preparations were limited to oil and filter change and a descent set of EBC Greenstuff front pads  Cheesy Although that was more in preparation for the Goodwood trackday a couple of weeks ago  Wink I'll probably throw a bucket of water over it before 3ma....  Grin

* WP_001665s.jpg (988.31 KB, 2592x1944 - viewed 510 times.)

* hugo@goodwood.jpg (63.2 KB, 800x532 - viewed 565 times.)

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »

Yesterday she passed the German MOT with flying colors - two more years without this hassle. Only two weeks to go now - looking forward to the Wales trip!

* mot.jpg (86.94 KB, 800x533 - viewed 491 times.)

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
Fiat 131 Abarth#2

Fiat 131 Abarth Gr.4

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »

Yesterday she passed the German MOT with flying colors - two more years without this hassle. Only two weeks to go now - looking forward to the Wales trip!

Ciao Roberto, great to see it passed again MOT, and enjoy the ride to 3MA15.  saluti Enzo

Enzo from Germany!
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 06:05:38 PM »

I was ready at the beginning of march  Grin Grin
 when the sun came out early in the season and had no where to go ... Embarrassed

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 07:28:27 PM »

After my trip to brands , picked up a screw in the tyre had to rush round n get that sorted  Sad then  exhaust started rattling on axle  Angry clamp came lose sorted that out  Angry then a brake light  went out  Angry sorted that

now just got to fill up  Smiley

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.