Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:55:44 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  3MA News and other events (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Betameeta12
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Betameeta12  (Read 5866 times)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« on: May 27, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »

In 2010, members of the Betaboyz forum had a meeting of Lancia Betas similar in style to the 3ma meetings and just like the original 3ma in 2007, all the Beta owners who attended enjoyed the meeting so much they decided to make it an annual event.  

The Lancia Beta was launched in 1972 so this year sees its 40th birthday and the Beta boys (or Betaboyz  Grin) decided the meeting should be something special. Initial suggestions of a 'Tour of Europe' soon went very quiet as there seemed to be very little take-up of the event. Just like the 3mas, the Betameetas are expected to be international meetings. I'm not going to claim that the Betaboyz are trying to copy us even if a few of them joined us in their Betas at the Heynes museum in Somerset last year during 3ma11 but I can't help making comparisons between 3ma and Betameeta. I think being just a 2-day/weekend meeting the Betameetas are too short to encourage international participation although this year a couple did travel from Paris in their lovely Beta Coupe for the meeting.

Betameeta12 was held over the extended weekend of 25th to 27th May in Norwich and was based at the De-Vere Dunston Hall Hotel. It's a shame that they chose the weekend to clash with the Eusrovision Song Contest and so I had to cut my participation short and leave late on Saturday afternoon to be sure I'd be home and in front of the TV in time  Grin Saturday was the day of the 'tour' and I managed to take part in all of that so I can't complain too much  Wink  

29 Betas were present on Saturday. In fact they managed to get at least one of each of the models ever produced and of course even a Trevi thanks to me  Wink Grin Grin

You can see my photos of the meeting at http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy292/Thotos/Betameeta12/?albumview=slideshow

PS and congratulations to 'my' team for winning the quiz on Friday evening  Grin Grin

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:25:54 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »

Very nice theo ,, even they've got a beta banner on a pole  Grin

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:57:54 PM »

That's a great turn out for a very rare car.

Classy pics too - Albert should be able to attend next year's event! Smiley

Did the black Coupe that arrived in the covered trailer justify that level of pampering?

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »

Nice cars. I love the Beta saloon and the Trevi. If I ever win the lottery I'll add them to my collection Wink

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »

Did the black Coupe that arrived in the covered trailer justify that level of pampering?

It was at the end of its restoration by Alan Wesson (http://www.westernlancia.co.uk/). I believe it was being delivered to its owner.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Sev131

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »

Nice pics Theo.

Rob 131

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:15:09 AM »

Theo

Some great looking Betas. I also particularly like the look of the S2 ?? (would that be 78 onwards) Saloon.

I thought you always went to the Eurovision as opposed to just watching it on TV  Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »

Some great looking Betas. I also particularly like the look of the S2 ?? (would that be 78 onwards) Saloon.

S2 Berlinas (introduced in 1976) had headlamps enclosed in a single piece glass while the S1 cars (1972-1975) had separate round headlamps.

I thought you always went to the Eurovision as opposed to just watching it on TV  Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Not 'always' but 'usually'. This year my daughter and I decided to give it a miss as we didn't want to travel to Azerbaijan (we couldn't spell it anyway  Grin Grin). Definitely (barring unforeseen circumstances)  going to Sweden next year though.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Rob 131

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »

Am I correct in saying there wasn't a S3 Beta Saloon.

That would have been the Trevi.

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

UK
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »

Am I correct in saying there wasn't a S3 Beta Saloon.

That would have been the Trevi.

No, not correct! In fact very wrong indeed!  Grin
The Beta Saloon Series 3 was introduced before the Trevi in 1980 and in fact had the 'famous' dash designed by Bellini before it was fitted to the Trevi and became known as the 'Trevi dash'. It should really be called the 'Beta Berlina Series 3 dash' but it hasn't got the same ring to it  Grin

In the photo below, the blue car on the left is a Berlina Series 3 and to the right is my silver Trevi. The front of both cars is the same as you can see.

In fact the Berlina S3 and Trevi are the same up to the C-pillars. Here's a photo of the Trevi (now left) and S3 Berlina from the back.

Incidentally, in case you didn't know already, the Beta-Trevi is not named after the fountain in Rome but for the car 'Trevi' stands for trevolumi or 'three volumes' i.e. three 'box' (one for engine, one for passengers and one for luggage).

Even of more interest (to me at least) is the fact that there was also a Gamma 'Trevi' or 3V as it is called. They only ever made one and I WANT IT  Grin

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 04:47:34 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Rob 131

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »

S3 Beta Saloon looks interesting and I never knew such a version existed.

I do however prefer the look of the S2 Beta Saloon. Suppose it comes down to my love of late 70's Italian Cars  Grin Grin

UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.