Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 06:58:38 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  3MA News and other events (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  3MA in Chester - Proposal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3MA in Chester - Proposal  (Read 5266 times)
Rob 131

« on: February 26, 2013, 12:13:52 AM »

Further to Phil?s comment under the subject heading ?Will Rob ever buy a 131?, there was a mention of Chester as a 3MA venue.

Actually this makes a great deal of sense.

Firstly, Chester was one of the Main Roman Cities and has many fascinating places to visit such as the City Walls and the Amphitheatre.

However for us 131 lovers, Chester in the 1970?s and 80?s was the home of the RAC Rally. I remember as a young child in the late 70?s going to see the cars off and admiring the 131?s.

Imagine the great photo opportunities such as by the Castle and in County Hall Car Park where the Rally Cars were parked.

Moving out of Chester, Snowdonia National Park is very close that offers some excellent driving roads (remember the S2 131 Brochure, with the 131 Sport being driven through an area that looks remarkably like Snowdonia). There are also some excellent driving roads just over the border in North Wales. Many motoring magazines have also traditionally used this area for road tests mainly as in addition to the roads, there are wonderful photo opportunities.

The world famous Oulton Park is approximately 15 miles from Chester, and the Bank Holiday in May coincides with the British Superbike?s that are held there over this weekend. Perhaps not to everyone?s taste, but could be of interest to some members. I am a huge Motorcycle race fan.

If any members experience any problems with their 131?s then Auto Italia that caters for such vehicles, is close by on the outskirts of Wrexham.

In the evening Chester, has many excellent Hotels, Restaurants and Traditional Bars, some of which some date back to the Fifteenth Century. It is also a renowned area for shopping on the famous rows.

For those travelling from Continental Europe there is the P&O Ferry from Rotterdam or Zeebrugge to Hull that would leave a drive to Chester of approximately 3 Hours. Travelling from Ireland is also highly accessible with Holyhead being only a 2 Hour drive.  

So there you have it Chester for 3MA one year.

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:01:44 PM »

So there you have it Chester for 3MA one year.

Hmm  Undecided I can't see that happening... but I'll "never say never"  Grin. Are you offering to organise 3ma15 Rob so we can all see your orange Fiat 131 Sport?  Grin  If so, sign me up for it now  Wink

Incidentally, I'll be attending a sort-of L3ma (Lancia 3ma)  Grin this year on 26-28 April  Cheesy. We'll be based at the Oriel Hotel in St Asaph (less than 30 miles from Chester) and apparently all rooms have now been booked by Lancia Motor Club members.  The main driving day will be Saturday 27th and we're promised drives round the many public roads around the Snowdonia area used by the RAC rally. "We shall construct an interesting and varied route both for its complexity and its beauty. We shall also visit some local high spots, particularly Bodnant Gardens in the Conway Valley." Apparently Saturday's drive will be about 4 and a half hours long which while quite 'normal' for our 3ma events it very long for the more sociable Lancia events. I'll let you have a copy of the driving route so you'll be half-way done for 3ma15  Grin Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »

Rob,

For a man who has lived and worked in the Middle East and now lives in Chester and works near Aberdeen I think you need to think a little further afield when thinking about 3MA. Wink I'm sure that there would be a few of us who would come to Chester as an additional event, but I don't think we'd consider it for a main 3MA just yet. Sorry.

131s are there to be driven matey - like it or not. I've driven over 200 miles in my Abarth today alone - but I wonder how many others would do the same at this time of year - and in the rain too. Undecided

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Rob 131

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

Simon and Theo

Chester has much to commend it as a 3MA venue, as does the previously mentioned Normandy.

Yes, I could organise an interesting and varied 3MA in Chester.

It would be interesting to know what others think about Chester, or alternatives.

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »

Rob,

Both Theo and I have been to Chester and recognise it as a great place to base ourselves for any potential meeting of any "Car Club". We are certainly not rejecting the place - it's not in our nature or best interests. Grin

We never say never. Wink

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »

Simon and Theo

Chester has much to commend it as a 3MA venue

Rob, please don't take this the wrong way as I don't mean any offence but I think before you start touting Chester as a suitable 3ma venue, you need to come to a 3ma, join in and (hopefully) enjoy it, get to know it, attain the "3ma ethos"  Cheesy and then you'll be in a better position to discuss the virtues of Chester or any other place as a possible 3ma venue  Wink Grin  But as I said, if you're volunteering to organise 3ma15 in Chester, then sign me up....  Wink

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Rob 131

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »

Theo

True my experience of 3MA's has been limited to looking at the photo's and watching the video's. I really do need to experience the real thing Wink Wink.

However, I have a reasonable idea of what would make a good 3MA. Chester is not going to compete with Italy for most of us in the excitement stakes.

As a 'good compromise' Chester could be the answer. We have a long time to consider this until 2015.

I assume next year is Italy.

UK
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:57:20 PM »

As a 'good compromise' Chester could be the answer. We have a long time to consider this until 2015.

We usually start to plan 3ma meetings 2 years ahead or at least we try to...  Cheesy

I assume next year is Italy.

That's the plan that started last year...  Wink

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Rob 131

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:00:38 AM »

We need some more feedback from other members on the Chester idea.

I assume Italy is an almost definite for next year.

UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.