Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:06:06 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  What to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon..?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon..?  (Read 6561 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: November 09, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »

I've been neglecting my Supermirafiori for some time now in favour my Sport and decided that it was time to catch up on some jobs. Here are some pics of the two together..

It's currently being stored at my mother's house as I dont have sufficient storage at my house. It's not the easiest driveway to exit from and this is a big reason that it does not get used much.

The car came without a passenger side door mirror which makes it a bit difficult for normal driving on the left. I thought I had solved this with the kind supply of a right hand side door mirror from Brensports. However when I fitted it I discovered that as the mirror had more than likely come from a RHD car it was only suitable for someone sitting in the right hand seat - In this case the passenger seat - as the range of adjustment did not provide the required vision from the driver's seat.

I had been watching a suitable mirror on Italian Ebay for some time at ?25 buy it now + ?35 postage. It was brand new and boxed but too expensive to my mind. It never sold despite repeat listings so I offered the seller ?40 including postage which he accepted. It arrived last Friday and I fitted it this afternoon.? Perfect range of vision.? Wink

It still had protective grease on the lens and after a bit of cleaning it is as it would be in the showroom - To match the existing one.? Smiley Result : Happy owner and safer driving conditions!

Bren - I will let you have the RHD mirror back when we next hook up. Thanks again.? Wink

I picked up a few bits and pieces from a scrapped Super in Sicily a few weeks ago..including a hand grip for above the drivers door - I suspect Fiat did not fit them there in case some idiot hung his jacket from it and obsured his vision out of the side window..or maybe it was cost cutting. Anyway I can remember missing this feature on a long motorway drive so that has also been fitted.

I also spent some time in Halfords looking at speakers and a radio - I'm fairly sure that I will take this car on 3MA09 primarily as it is more suited to long distance cruising being quieter, more economical and would probably be the more reliable car. Another upgrade that I am thinking of is to change the existing tyres - Currently it has brand new (but budget) 165/80/13s - I'm sure it would benefit from 185/70/13s if I can find a set for reasonable money - Ideally Pirellis!

I'm also not a fan of the modern number plates - As the car was manufactured before these became a legal requirement - 1987 I think, I have plenty of leeway with alternatives and I think that I will change them for white numerals on a black background with IRL in brown to mimic the Italian style.

Anyway thats it for now on my 4 door.

Here are some pics from it's current home (with a cleaned engine bay).

I also took some footage of starting the engine from cold - It really is a sweet and fresh unit - Pity it's not 1995cc! Cool

http://www.youtube.com/user/kev131tc

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:11:04 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:41:54 PM »

At least it looks factoryfresh! And when you keep it in the garage you don't feel the difference with the 1995cc unit Wink

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 06:57:02 PM »

Lovely condition. Personally even though the engine bay looks lovely clean and shiny, I prefer to coat them in a good layer of clear waxoyl. I had an old BMW 5 series a few years ago which had been waxed up from new. I hot washed it to get the wax off and it looked good, but it did not take long before rusty marks started appearing around the seams.....

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 08:03:59 PM »

that toooooooo clean to drive  Grin at least you got the extra cam Wink
jay

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
eugene

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »

Beautiful car Kev.I really like white.By the way,you can also put Eire on the reg plate and omit the Irl.Also i would disconnect a battery lead when the car is not being used.On all my vehicles,i have a master switch fitted and i always use it when i leave the vehicles.
Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
theredx19
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:21:37 PM »

I know what you mean no radio and only one mirror, sure I did the same drive but all I did was keep the 124 near the red line for music and overtake everything so I new what was behind me? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes but there is a way of moving the screws in the mirrors to turn lhd to rhd and vica versa? Grin Grin Grin but Eugene these are real cars the wiring is not made of Russian potatoe sacks  Tongue Tongue
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 08:45:45 PM by theredx19 » Logged
eugene

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »

I know of many cars,tractors and other vehicles that have gone on fire over the years and it's stupid to think that my car won't go up on fire due to a electrial short.
I remember my former boss's  2 year old diesel Toyota Carina went on fire while on sunday drive and in 2minutes the car was burnt out.
My advice to anyone who has a car  stored in a garage and especially stored alongside other cars,is to always disconnect a battery lead or fit a breaker switch.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »

Sound advice Eugene. I always disconnect my battery too! Smiley

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
theredx19
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »

I love this people will spend 20 or 30 euro on a kill switch but when did they last change the fuel lines as this a more common cause of fire as that Carina went up while it was driving I would guess this was a fuel line issue or the oily rag under the bonnet job Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »

On a 131 the fuel lines are about the only thing that appears to last as they are plastic and don't rust  Roll Eyes

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
theredx19
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:37:14 PM »

Part of a good and comprehensive service schedule is the replacement of all rubber fuel and brake lines every 4 years...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.