Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 09:46:38 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Not a Fiat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not a Fiat  (Read 3232 times)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« on: December 03, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »

I took my Alfa 156 for its second service today and I was given an old 156 as a courtesy car.  The car (see photo below) has 146,000 miles on it but it's near perfect! The leather interior has not worn, there are no rattles or squeaks, the 2 litre twin-spark engine is smooth and quiet and strong, in fact I kept looking at the mileometer and couldn't believe that the car has covered such a stratospheric mileage. And the bodywork, while having the awful pearlescent paint on it, looks perfect too (I wish I could say the same about my rusting Mercedes!). At 10 years old and with that mileage the car must be worth well below ?1000 which must make it an absolute bargain. I don't know if it's a case of all 156 being so good or that this has been well looked after by the garage but whatever the reason I seem to be on a winner as I have a 156 and it's being maintained by this garage  Cheesy Grin (Veloces of London - there's a bit of free advertising for them)

* 03-12-09_1313s.jpg (119.65 KB, 800x581 - viewed 401 times.)

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
markwilliams131

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

the 156 is a great car if you look after them
i have 3 of them and im brakeing 1 of them if anybody is looking for bits

131 sport x 4  lancia beta volumex coupe rover sd1 vitesse mini 1275gt
mk2 golf gti  1.9 205 gti   opel omega mv6     alfa 156
Sev131

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »

I got a good friend of mine to buy an Italian car. He bought a 2003 model facelift 156 2.0 JTS. I used to look after it and it was a cracking car. The front suspension is fun, changing top and bottom arms! Used to fail a fair few on the arms at M.O.T time. He sold it on after 2 years and always compares it to other cars for character, performance, quick rack and the price they fetch, let alone cry as it was the best car he's ever had. He now has a Punto 1.2 elx as baby forces sale! Sad

Cambelt and variator valve needs to be checked and listened for.

I did a couple of cambelt snap- jobs on a 147 and a 156. 147 was fine, but 156 used to apprantley burn oil. I suspect the bores must of been wearing oval as opposed to bent rods. Cylinder head rebuild wasn't cheap as any valve which had shown signs of contact to piston was changed. I had been told that any valve which had made contact, but looked ok should be changed as a few people had experienced the head of the valve drop into the combustion chamber after a few weeks of running.
cooter131

/1/3/1/

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:46:39 PM »

I wouldn't say the paint is awful...
It is definitely eye-catching.

I would however agree that it looks better on hatch-backs rather than family cars...

George K.
Athens, Greece

131 Special '77 (1300cc) 1977-1999
131 Special '76 (1600cc) 2007- . . .
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.