Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:44:03 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Front Grille
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front Grille  (Read 12011 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »

This is a subject that has caused me some conjecture as well and to answer some of the questions posed to the best of my knowledge (and confirm some of the others)..

I believe that all Sport grills left Fiat painted a light colour grey. Why do I think they were painted? - Because when I bought a new one, still in Fiat wrapping (although not sealed), the colour on the outward surface was darker than the other side. Of course I could have been swindled by a restored one but it's such a good job and bears no sign of weathering or wear anywhere, the chances are that it is as Fiat intended.

The WR versions? I agree with Theo that they were most likely painted in Germany - I would say that from the photo provided, that the black version is the only one not painted a non standard colour.

On the arches sometimes referred to silver or light grey - I believe that they were painted - See attached picture of the blemishes on this car for illustration.

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
theredx19
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 07:51:12 PM »

I will check this out for you over the next week or so as I have some of the old Fiat tech books but one of them is a very rare body, trim and tech spec book, It list every series of 131 the differences between all models including colour of trim for each model as it was used to help define models for warranty payments  Wink Wink Wink
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »

when I bought a new one, still in Fiat wrapping (although not sealed), the colour on the outward surface was darker than the other side.

I almost agree with that Kevin. I bought two new grills in sealed Fiat wrapping (still have one in fact) and the reason the outer surface is darker is because it's smoother. The inside looks lighter because of the rough texture of the plastic. But the 131 Sport when new had a metallic grey paint on them. By the way, the reason I bought a new grill all those years ago is because it was cheaper to buy a grill complete with the badge on it than to buy the badge on its own!

Regarding the trim, I would agree that Silver trim as seen on Orange Sport/Racing must have been painted but I wonder if the Grey trim on Gunmetal cars was unpainted. We only had black trim cars in the UK so I've never seen a new or nearly new car with trim other than black.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:01:46 PM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
markwilliams131

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »

look kev black a gold sport Cool

131 sport x 4  lancia beta volumex coupe rover sd1 vitesse mini 1275gt
mk2 golf gti  1.9 205 gti   opel omega mv6     alfa 156
Aussie131

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 04:11:33 PM »

Hey guys, i was wondering if any of u fantastic gentalmen want to sell any of your spare racing grills and light set ups, if so how much $$$
mick131

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 05:03:45 PM »

I can't remember the size of the standard 131 Sport discs. A good place to get good quality standard discs and pads is Mintex. They do "brakes in a box" which is a matched set of discs and pads. I have Bravo discs and callipers at the front of my car and have used the "brakes in a box" from Mintex and can confirm that they are very good (and certainly much better than the other type that I had smoking in Ireland in 2007!)

You can contact Mintex on:

TMD Friction UK Ltd.
PO Box 18, Hunsworth Lane
Cleckheaton
West Yorkshire
BD19 3UJ
Tel: +44 (0)1274 854000
email: marketing@tmdfriction.co.uk

I live within 5 minutes of this place, thought they had moved to Leeds  Roll Eyes

Mick Wilson
Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire, UK.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.