Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:32:38 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Removing chrome front bumper 1300cl
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Removing chrome front bumper 1300cl  (Read 4898 times)
Crazypierre

« on: November 29, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »

Gents
Got a new/old stock front bumper which I've cleaned up and am going to fit.
In trying to remove the old one, the black plastic ends on the front bumper are screwed/bolted to the wings from inside. I think I need to remove the plastic wing liners to get at the bolts, do I? How difficult a job is this? Do I need to remove the front wheels? I can see a couple of small bolts holding the plastic wing liners......
Thanks
Pete
Gremlino

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:06:37 PM »

Hi Pete,

This job is not impossible with the wheels on but it is made easier with the wheels off.

I'm not sure whether your car has screws holding the liner or plastic push fasteners.

If it has the plastic fasteners then gently tease them out by wiggling the liner either side of the fastener with your fingers and applying light leverage under the liner with a flat end screwdriver. If they snap off replacements are usually available as these were a standard size in the Fiat range.

If it has the the small bolts holding the liner in place they are usually self tapped hex head screws that normally round off or just snap when you try to undo them....they are a pain in the backside but not hard to deal with as you normally just drill out the part in the hole and replace them with ordinary self tapping screws.

Once the liner is unscrewed you can push and pull it to manouvre it out of the arch....be careful not to use too much force otherwise you can split the liner.

The screws/bolts that hold the bumper ends will probably also be resistant to being undone but be patient and apply some freeing oil (plus-gas or similar) to the bolt and if accessible the captive nut in the bumper end,  the main thing is to try not to destroy the integrity of the bumper end where the captive nut is located (can round out or crack if the nut spins).

Its one of those jobs that shouldn't be too difficult, but try to do it on a dry day when you can get under the front without getting wet knees and your tools soaked (unless you have a garage to use ).

Good luck
G

Signature has gone Kaput!
Crazypierre

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »

Thanks for your detailed advice G
I didn't realise I was opening up such a big can of worms when I bought that bumper! Sounds like a lot of hassle to me....
I think I may take the easier route which is to unclip the plastic end bit from the bumpers (there are 2 plastic pins on each one) and leave the original end bits in place and simply fit the chrome bumper to them. The original ones are in good shape.
Pete
Gremlino

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:11:52 PM »

Pete,

Please don't be put off from having a go by my step-by-step guide.

I merely try to give advice as I would like it given to me, that means a bit OTT on the detail but covering any possible problems.

Looking at the overall condition of your car it would surprise me if you had any dramas removing the liners. The probs with the hex screws come from the car being driven on British winter gritted roads, it doesn't look like your aunt took her car out in these conditions so the fittings should be fairly well preserved...likewise for the bumper end bolts.

Have a good look at each liner on both sides and see what condition it looks in, if you think you can tackle the task have a go, if not, get someone mechanically experienced to have a look for you.

Maybe take some pics and post them on here......then everyone can have a look and possibly give you better advice? Wink.?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:13:43 PM by Gremlino » Logged

Signature has gone Kaput!
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:41:43 PM »

When you have the liners out, check for rust (hopefully you will not find any) then make sure everything is clean and spray lots of Waxoyl or similar everywhere! Far better to stop it rusting than repair it later!

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Crazypierre

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 07:55:25 AM »

Thanks Guys,
I'll let you know how I get on. Maybe I'll give it a go over the Christmas period when I have a few days on my hands.
Pete
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.