Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:11:39 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Intermittent wipers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Intermittent wipers?  (Read 4314 times)
Tas131

« on: October 19, 2012, 12:52:49 AM »

My wipers are more random than intermittent. They'll run for a second then stop anywhere on the screen, they'll do this continuously on the intermittent switch, but run fine on continuous 1 and 2. They will also stop immediately when turned off, instead of returning to a "park" position at the bottom of the screen. Is the circuitry for controlling the intermittent function part of the wiper motor internal circuitry, or a function of the vehicle circuitry. I'm assuming part of the motor setup.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »

It's a switch inside the motor. By 'switch' I mean a fixed contact and one on a long metal strip controlled by a cam wheel. Either the contacts are worn/loose/dirty, the 'strip' contact has broken or one of the wires has come off. Wires are easy to check  as you only need to take off the first cover (just three screws from what I remember). If wire connections haven't broken off then take off the fourth screw (also holds the cable clamp from memory) and you'll find the 'switch' inside. The problem will be obvious and usually quite easy to repair. Even if the contact strip has broken off it can be soldered back on (but won't last forever).

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafiori76

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:02:52 AM »

I don't think it's the wiper motor. I had the same problem some time ago in my Racing. I exchanged the intermitterance relais that's located under the bonnet on the right side, between the firewall and the shock tower. Then the problem was solved.

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:36 AM »

They will also stop immediately when turned off, instead of returning to a "park" position at the bottom of the screen.

Therefore not the intermittent relay but the switch inside the motor  Wink

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 06:46:33 PM »

It's a switch inside the motor. By 'switch' I mean a fixed contact and one on a long metal strip controlled by a cam wheel. Either the contacts are worn/loose/dirty, the 'strip' contact has broken or one of the wires has come off. Wires are easy to check  as you only need to take off the first cover (just three screws from what I remember). If wire connections haven't broken off then take off the fourth screw (also holds the cable clamp from memory) and you'll find the 'switch' inside. The problem will be obvious and usually quite easy to repair. Even if the contact strip has broken off it can be soldered back on (but won't last forever).

yes ,, take it apart and you'll see and full of grease .

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Tas131

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 03:37:59 AM »

Thanks everyone, it was indeed the internal switch, the "leaf" had corroded and fallen off, fortunately straight onto the grease on the gear, so it stayed put and didn't cause any damage. I pulled another wiper motor apart but it the cover/switch assembly was completely different, I assume it's from a series 1. I scrounged through my pile of bits and found another motor assembly, the cover was what I required, but the wiring was connected to different terminals. I got the soldering iron out, swapped covers and copied the vehicle wiring to the terminations, it now works a treat, properly parked intermittent wipers and they return to the parked position when turned off. It's only taken me 5 years to fix it. Now the drivers side washer nozzle only squirts half as much as the other side, I've cleaned the nozzle to no avail, I think I've crimped the tube when refitting the firewall plastics. I wonder how long that will annoy me before I fix it.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.