Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:30:53 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Marelli electronic ignition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marelli electronic ignition  (Read 2714 times)
fi131

« on: March 23, 2010, 02:36:47 PM »

I 've sourced a magnetti marelli ignition (aftermarket part) which consists of  a distributor ,coil, and a small circuit mounted.
Has anybody installed one in a 131 ?
What is the difference in the performance that you have experienced?
Is there any  difference in fuel consumption too?
Is said that if the points distributor is tuned correctly even the stock points set-up works relatively good
What are advantages of a electronic one except  from the "points maintenance issue"?
david

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:06:13 PM »

fi131,  Do you mean the original marelli electronic ignition as fitted to later 131 supers etc, This will be an improvement from points but look in the distributor at the two wires that go to the electronic pick up as the insulation on these wires rots and can cause engine misfiring. The bosch electronic ignition is a lot better as doesnt suffer from this problem
fi131

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 09:16:41 PM »

fi131,  Do you mean the original marelli electronic ignition as fitted to later 131 supers etc, This will be an improvement from points but look in the distributor at the two wires that go to the electronic pick up as the insulation on these wires rots and can cause engine misfiring. The bosch electronic ignition is a lot better as doesnt suffer from this problem

The one i 've sourced has  a brand new distributor I think it is a part that was fitted to later models and it fits all tc engines with the distributor at the block and even fits to push-rod engines.
I ;ve seen some sold through e-bay but i 've seen this set-up installed to Alfas as well .
What other improvements besides the points do you get from such a set-up?
Thanks
david

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »

Well if its new you can fit it and forget about it as it shouldnt give any trouble for at least ten years, You will get a stronger spark so should be better starting and should see an improvement in fuel consumption.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.