Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:55:20 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  HELP! Direction of rotation? Fitting an ECU/EFI
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: HELP! Direction of rotation? Fitting an ECU/EFI  (Read 11708 times)
parrish

« on: September 20, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »

Ive spent so much time making a bracket for the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) ive forgoten which way the crank rotates!
Now i need to time the sensor 90 degrees before TDC No1.
Strada Abarth Engine, looking end on at the bottom front pulley wheel, which way does it turn?
I suspect clockwise?
Steve
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:34:51 AM by parrish » Logged

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's clockwise too, but, just turn the engine for a second or two on the starter and get an assistant to check. Better to be sure!

Should the sensor not be 10 degrees BTDC?

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
parrish

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »

OMEX instructions are to set TDC No1 then turn crank to 90 degrees before TDC, CPS should then be aligned with the missing tooth in the trigger wheel.
Steve
Battery is off the car i suppose id best go connect it and see what hsappens.

parrish

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »

Clockwise.
Connected battery and gave it a whirl.

theredx19
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 07:07:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's clockwise too, but, just turn the engine for a second or two on the starter and get an assistant to check. Better to be sure!

Should the sensor not be 10 degrees BTDC?
If you are running unleaded you should bring it to approx 5 degrees btdc as there is a Fiat service news for it....
parrish

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 06:29:10 AM »

Im in the middle of fitting an OMEX ECU and following the instructions as given, the trigger wheel is set at 90 degrees before TDC No1 cylinder, the ECU will take care of the timing issues once the programme is loaded.
Steve

miro-1980

Abarth leads the way !

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 12:22:26 AM »

Parish,

I am building a new performance engine and just found out that you are installing an Omex system.

I am very interested in learning both technical aspects of installation as well as operation.

Would appreciate any information you can post here on your progress .

Are you installing Omex 100  ( with or w/o distributor?)

Miro    
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:27:57 AM by miro-1980 » Logged

Fiat Abarth 131 Rally Gr4 1976 (replica)
Fiat 124 Abarth Rally Gr4 1973 (replica)
parrish

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 02:59:33 AM »

Hi Miro,
im fitting an omex 600 ECU/EFI, thats electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection with Throttle bodies, without distributor ill post a few extra photos below.
As i only get every other month at home the going is slow at the moment, but i hope to get 90% of the work competed before the end of November.
To date ive fitted the Trigger wheel and Crank positon sender to the front of the engine, Omex unit is in the dash and wired in, Coil unit is fitted onto the inner wing.
To Do: Fuel system, Swirl pot, pumps, filters, lines, throtle bodies, injectors, filters etc.
The good thing about Omex is that you can get the car up and running with a down load from Omex, before going to a rolling road.
Any questions please ask, see photos of current progress and bits and bobs.
Steve
First the bits

EFI Pieces

ECU Pieces
Coil block on inner wing

Trigger wheel on front of crank and the bracket i used for the CPS.

Omex 600 in glove box

Used this grommet to pull all wires through.

Trigger wheel and CPS fitted as per Omex instruction (google Omex and go to their www loads of info on line)

Just as an extra thought, im fitting a roll cage whilst im on with the ECU/EFI.

Omex do a 400, which is ECU only however in future if you ever wanted to upgrade to EFI you would have to get the 600.
Its not cheap! to date its cost me over 1800 pounds and im not finnished, its  things like high pressure fuel pumps,swirl pots, fuel lines, filters, injectors etc etc that start to put the price up.
Steve
PS Heres the Omex www link.
http://www.omextechnology.co.uk/
And heres where i bought mine from, you need to contact a man called Troy Robinson hes very helpfull and a wealth of information, will spend time with you on any problems you may have. e mail and ask for Troy.
http://www.northamptonmotorsport.com/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:31:08 AM by parrish » Logged

Walezy

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 07:15:19 AM »

In case someone needs cheaper alternative then megasquirt v 3.0 works very good with TC engines and you can use sensor and bracket from late digiplex fiat 132.

mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:51:41 AM »

I'm fitting a Megajolt ignition system to my Fiat 130. I'm only running the ignition set up as I'm sticking with the standard carb but it is much cheaper than the OMEX system. If you have to run carbs because of historic rally regs etc it makes sense to go down this route, however fuel injection obviously brings greater performance and economy Grin

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Walezy

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »

Fiat 131 never had(at least not in my FIA homologation papers) IDF or DCOE carbs fitted in their rally cars but a kugelficher injection so taking into account that mechanical injection is really hard to get then EFI is closer to the original setup then IDF carbs.
I do not say that works cars did not use carbs at all but it was not mentioned in homologation for group 4 car(just standard single carb). But i cannot find anywhere group 4 rules that could allow any other induction kit to be used.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.