Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 06:08:07 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  For Sale and Wanted (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  131 sport for sale on ebay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 131 sport for sale on ebay  (Read 7384 times)
mirafioriman

My next project......

« on: May 08, 2007, 11:14:30 AM »

Another 131 sport on ebay. Cheap starting price but needs some pretty major restoration work. Sorry no time to post a link.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
curt

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:08:14 AM »

Hiya guys
Here is the link for those that havent looked already  Smiley
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1982-FIAT-131-MIRAFIORI-SPORT-No-sunroof-RARE_W0QQitemZ160114676815QQihZ006QQcategoryZ18305QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Would love to know peoples thoughts i keep looking for a project but i think this one is too far gone for me  Sad Sad

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »

Hi Curt,

For what it's worth, these are my opinions.

The ad says that it's structurally 'solid' - the photos tell a very different story however. I'm sure that if you're handy with a welding machine you could rebuild the bottom half of the car, but as the rot has got right into the structural 'beam sections' of the sills you'd also have to be very good at fabrication of the metal parts needed as most are no longer available.

There is also rot along the roof gutter line which would need a very complicated (and therefore expensive) repair. There is also major rot along the lower edge of the rear screen - again a very complex repair.

The ad goes on to say "There is corrosion to base of windscreen pillars inside the door shuts & from drivers door shut to roof skin, also slight corrosion to both rear lowers of the boot floor (rear quarter to boot floor)." This is a screen out and wings off job just to find out how far the rot goes at the front of the car. It's highly likely that water has found it's way behind the wheel arch liner and up towards the 'A' pillars. It also worth considering that the doors on the 2-door are far heavier than the four door front doors so need to be mounted on a solid pillar otherwise they'll drop. For me, this phrase would be enough to lose my interest.

I'd say that, even assuming all of the trim parts are still with the car, it would be a very expensive rebuild - especially if you couldn't do the work yourself. If trim parts are missing (which is highly likely) the jobs will be doubly costly and a true labour of love.

I'd say that this car was only for the dedicated and skilled restorer, and the ?500 asking price would seem a little high for what is effectively a 'spares car'.

It's also worthy of note that 'Y' reg cars are 'old stock' as far as the Sport is concerned. The Sport ceased production in mid 1981 to make way for the 2000TC Supermirafiori, which was produced on the same line. Therefore they were 'sitting around a bit' before they were sold off - and tend to be the ruster cars that we see now. I'd generally go for a 'V' or 'W' reg car if you want a good base.

This is my opinion only! Others will undoubtedly have their own view on the car.

Best of luck.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:07:02 AM »

I would agree with Simon and say that this car is really for the very dedicated restorer or for spares; there seem to be some good parts on this car. "Anything can be rebuilt", I am told and I am sure that this Sport is not beyond being saved but will require a lot of work. Fiat 131s tend to rust from the inside-out so cars that look perfectly presentable and usable can be quite rotten (I know as I had one). The inside rust on this car is beginning to show quite badly so I'd be very scared at what else lies underneath the panels and inside box sections.  But the seller doesn't seem to be trying to hide anything so that's a plus point.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mick131

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »

Hi fellas,

Curt... Simon and Theo are right in what they are saying regarding the extent of the rot. When I got my 131 way back in the day, it looked OK from the outside apart from some small rust bubbles.

Once investigation got under way it became a mammoth task to get rid of the corrosion. For instance the 'A' posts have a foam type filling to them that retains water/moisture and consequently helps the rusting process.

The inner sills fair no better and judging by the pictures shown they are in a similar state to the sills on mine before I repaired them. I would say that if you bought this car, as tempting as it might be, you would not see it for approx 6/7 months as it was being repaired and thats on a very conservative estimate.

I was lucky enough to find a brand new scuttle panel for mine and managed to reclaim a lower scuttle panel of a scrap car, but if parts like the sills etc are not readily obtainable that makes the whole restoration even harder.

When I had finished my floorpan, sills etc etc, I counted all of the man hours I had spent just fabricating/welding and it was scary. Don't get me wrong it can be done, and I have done it, but it's not easy !!.

Best of luck with your search, I'm sure you will find one and I hope that this has not put you off !!.

Mick Wilson
Birkenshaw, West Yorkshire, UK.
curt

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 09:19:44 PM »

Many Thanks for the input you guys  Smiley
I would  love to get my hands on a half decent 131 sport -but alas i have a woman that tells me their too old and too boxy  Shocked Shocked
(Shes only a woman - what do they know about thoroughbred motors Wink)
But the story is that we are currently moving home (very shortly )
and the female in the household has higher designs on en suite bathrooms than the double garage and workshop that i require for my hopeful project Tongue
However i have said to her before, I wear the trousers in this household -as long as she lets me  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy
I will get another sport -oh yes i will-i will-i will-i will (is that the ambulance i hear in the background with those nice men in white jackets ) Grin Grin Grin
Thanks again fellas
 Wink

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
wayne67

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 01:05:38 AM »

Hi to all with opinions on MY car, For information the corrosion in the rear boot floor to rear 1/4 panels does NOT need the wings taking off,each side has a hole in the well approx 1-1.5 inch x 2-3 inch long. The doors do not drop as the `A`pillars are  sound, as stated the floors have been done, how well I do not know, but again they appear solid as do chassis rails and inner wings. There is only the nearside sill and rear arch to do lower down, which as I said I have a new sill to be fitted. All the other welding that needs doing is not as bad as you all describe, I am a panel-beater by trade so know what the job involves. ALL the trim and interior etc is present and I have spares too.
   I have seen some of the "show" cars, which to be honest I can find plenty of faults on, so everyone is entitled to there opinion and I think to say my car is only a spares car and expensive is unjustified especially without seeing it.
  I said in the description structure fairly solid, you say pictures say different, I have owned 8 131 sports in different conditions, so I feel I know when one is structually weak. This one is alot better than others I have looked at, Anyway like I say you are all entitled to your opinions as I am mine, I just thought I would point a few things out, Sorry if this offends anyone, it is not meant to.
  The ONLY reason it`s on sale is because my daily driver (dolly sprint) decided to bend all 16 valves last week so I need to raise some cash to re-build the head, If I do this without selling the FIAT then it will be removed from sale and the next time it will be seen is at a show when I go home with a trophy and everybody else eats "humble pie" Grin
 Best Regards to All WAYNE.
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 06:37:27 AM »

Hi Wayne and welcome to the forum,

I think that you need to read the comments above again. What I actually said was that you need to take the screen and wings off to properly assess the rot for the FRONT of the car. To do a full and professional repair this will have to happen otherwise the rot will reappear and the car will lack structural integrity - simple as that. Ask Theo how badly his 'old' silver Sport (Dudley) had rotted - and that car was his daily driver! (He might even be able to provide photos).

Nor did I say that the doors on your car had dropped!

You are quite correct, I haven't seen your car 'in the metal', my comments are made purely on the photos you have posted on ebay.

As I said, these are MY opinions, to which I am entitled (which appear to be the same as Theo's and Mick's), and they are not meant to cause offense. If someone asks for my opinon I will give it as honestly as I can, as I have here.

For the record, I have owned in excess of 35 131s over a twenty two year period but I certainly don't know everything there is to know about these cars, however I certainly know how rust takes a hold as it has affected every one of them.

I stand by my comment that this (your) car is only for the dedicated restorer.

I assume your comment regarding 'faulty' show cars was for my benefit. "Show cars" that are used on a regular basis will NEVER be perfect, for perfection look in a museum.

If you can get a show trophy with this car (and I truly hope you do!) I'll gladly eat humble pie Grin, until then I shall keep my cutlery in the draw.

Regards

Simon
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 06:49:56 AM by simon131 » Logged

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.