Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:19:04 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  what engines can i use in my 131 without big mods
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what engines can i use in my 131 without big mods  (Read 7436 times)
sikkane

« on: October 03, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »

hey i got a fiat 131 mirafiori with a 1.6l engine...  i have tryed long to get my hands of a 2l tc engine for my fiat... but its soo very rare in norway/sweden.. is there any engine who will fit my fiat without big mods? i heard fiat croma turbo engine fits if you change oil pump and oil sump  do anyone know it thats true?

thanks
h?vard ner?sen
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »

The Croma engine is basically a 2 litre twin cam engine modified for the front wheel drive Croma so should fit. You may need to change a few things. You should be able to find these for sale even if you have to ship them from other places in Europe.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
PB131

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 08:57:23 PM »

The Croma engine as well as other transversely fitted twin cams (but not the Strada/Ritmo) had the inlet and exhausts the other way round to the 131 so the exhaust will need to be custom made I'd think.
djape1977

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 09:54:55 PM »

definately. any transversly mounted engine after ritmo has its engine head rotated 180" so intake and exaust are on oposite sides of what you need. i don't claim it can't ne done, but it's a big job. also, if i remember correctly, all croma 2l engines have a counter rotating balance shafts which render them unusable for rwd application, since they can't be fitted to a 131 geargox.
basicaly, only engines that you can use with no serious mods are ones from 131 and 132 and mk1 ritmo.
depending on what you want to achieve, perhaps you should consider tweaking your 1,6 engine, if it's a twincam. 113hp produced by stock 2l engine can be extracted from 1,6 with no too much trouble.
perhaps you should contact markoh from this forum, he's from finland. if i remember correctly, he has a lot of bits and pieces for tuning fiat/lancia twincams

get a bigger hammer!
Walezy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:15:07 PM »

You can try to fit croma engine and not all of them had balancer shafts(i have such block in my garage) so it is possible to do it but it will be easier to get 132 engine. In case you need it then i have such engine(but not assembled) that you can fit into your car.
If you wish to take care of moving exhaust on the other side then i would strongly suggest of using 16v head as the work involved is nearly the same and the results are much better than with 8v head.

PB131

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:10:33 PM »

I don't think any of the Croma engines had balancer shafts. It was the Lancia (Thema etc) twin cams that had the balancer shafts.
djape1977

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 12:08:31 AM »

well i had a 1990. croma i.e. and it had balancer shafts. in fact, only fiat/lancia twincam from that generation that i've seen without balancer shafts was some spiced up version of tipo, 1,8 or 2,0

get a bigger hammer!
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:11:53 AM »

just leave the balancer belt off,most do on intergraly and thats an idea .
 you need to modifiy input shaft on gearbox ,for lack off spigot bearing on fwd engines.
but as weve seen anything will fit from a rx8 wankel to a dino v6

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
turb

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »

The question is, how much time and money do you have?  And what kind of performance do you want when finished?  Yes, the basic Croma engine fits, with (more refined) or without (a lot lighter) balancer shafts, different markets were supplied with the two options.  Unfortunately, as stated above the heads were turned 180 degrees so inlet and exhaust manfolds are situated on the opposite sides of the engine.  There is a lot of work required to make this set-up work in a 131 engine bay,  but it will work, engine mounts, gear box (early 131 OHV bell housing for balancer shafts) will bolt up.  Yes, the sump will need altering.

I think there are easier ways to put horse power in your 131 that this option.

If you look at the "Introductions" category of this forum under "Yet another NZer" the photo shown is of a Thema engine with Balancer Shafts in the process of being fitted to a 131.

Jeremy
131 Lover

Fiat power No mercy !!!

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »

Hi H?vard!
There are still 2l engines in Sweden to reasonable prices! 131,132,Argenta,Beta that fit with a little work!
I have seen 2l for 2-3000Skr that are in very good condition, There are at scrap yards, seen an underpart that only done 110000 km for 1200Skr ..

If you need any help  just let me know!
Alf Andersson"131 lover"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:16:34 PM by 131 Lover » Logged

My name is Alf Andersson and live in Alvesta in the south of Sweden,
These are my Fiats
3X Fiat 131 -83 supermirafiori 2000Tc
1X Fiat 131 -82 supermirafiori 2000Tc
2x 131 2-door 1600cl -81
Walezy

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:00:16 AM »

There is a problem with starter motor which would be in place of one of the balancer shafts so it may not be that easy.

turb

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 06:35:21 AM »

The early overhead valve 131 had the starter motor mounted on the opposite side. The bellhousing is identical apart from this, so if used no problem with balancer shaft and gets the starter motor away from the exhaust heat.
Jeremy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.