Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:58:39 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  A question about handling
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question about handling  (Read 3980 times)
Walker

« on: January 02, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »

The question is how would you improve handling of a '78 131 series1 two door. The car is copletely stock and any thing added would have to fit under the standard body work.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »

Less technical suggestions would be to reduce weight wherever possible...plus look at wider and lower profile tyres.

Newer (rather) than upgraded suspension parts such as shocks will also improve the handling of '78 car if the old parts are well worn.  Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Fiat 131 Abarth#2

Fiat 131 Abarth Gr.4

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »

build an abarth replica with 2,0 l engine  Grin

Enzo from Germany!
Walezy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »

First of all set the negative camber to -1 degree. then best will be to fit bilstein b6 shocks and a bit stiffer springs. This will for sure make the car turn nice but with negative camber you may notice a bit of wandering to the left or right side when driving straight but this is nothing too big, just a little bit and it is fully controllable. Good set of 195/50/15 tires will help a lot also.

Walker

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »

Should I replace all of the suspension parts, control arms, steering unit,bushings, ect. Or will those items be ok to keep. The car has over a 100,000 miles on it.
And what kind of bushings should I use rubber or plastic?

I looked into building an Abarth, but the cost would be too much. Also I plan on using the car as canyon racer so I want it to look as stock as possible.
Walezy

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:05:04 AM »

If possible then replace the bushings with poyurethane. Front wishbone has a big rubber bush and it will flex a lot in hard cornering so you need more negative camber to make it handle properly but this will make the straight driving worse so if you have harder bushings then there is no need for more than 1 deg negative camber.
Get some stiffer springs.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.