Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:39:51 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  3MA News and other events (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  3MA08 - Day 1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3MA08 - Day 1  (Read 3705 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »

I know I'm a bit slow with this but I've had some camera problems - Still have them but I have been able to download the images somehow.

For the Irish convoy Day 1 of 3MA began early at Mike's place in Dunleer where we were treated with generous hospitality to a full breakfast before a quick fill up and hitting the M1 for Belfast. We also met up with Nick (Sid131) who made a big effort to meet up with us at an early time. He was mad jealous and is determined to have his car ready for 3MA10!? Wink

It was a beautiful morning for driving with not much traffic about. We had a debate about buying AA breakdown cover and 2 opted in and 2 opted out, luckily it was not needed by anyone over the whole trip.

We arrived in loads of time for the ferry and parked up in line. The cars got loads of attention from fellow travellers with all sorts of questions being asked, none of which involved the word "Lada"! Some coffee in the brand new departure building before loading on to the Jet foil for a really smooth and quick trip to Stranraer. You would really not know that you were at sea unless you looked out the window.

Disembarkation at the other side was quick and we hit the road North for our planned rendezvous with the UK/Continental convoy at Ayr. Numerous delays including being stuck behind a Church bus which would not drive at more than 20mph uphill and regular roadworks. Of the 5 cars, the little yellow 124 seemed to turn the most workmen heads!

Afetr much texting with Theo we managed to meet up on a Motorway overpass and 10 Fiats headed for the nearest petrol station which became swamped with 131s! Route maps were duly handed out and everyone headed off for our Hotel in Inveraray... at various speeds!!!? A few of us ended up in Glasgow city centre by mistake but it all added to the adventure!

Once we got back on the right road (at that stage it was just Mark & I) we discovered the A815 which climbed into the Argyll Forest Park through some wonderful mountainous scenery. The road opened up into long sweeping bends which permitted some fast road driving following an Audi A6 Avant as a road clearer.

Despite the detour into Glasgow we only arrived a few minutes after the main group and we managed to find a parking space in the rather crowded hotel car park (no reserved parking like last year unfortunately). We had our only rain of the weekend from Friday evening & through the night.

After a long day on the road a pint of guinesss and our dinner awaited us while we renewed friendships from last year and made new ones for 2008.

Enjoy the pics...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:56:55 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:26 PM »

Great pictures Kev and thanks.Why do you dread the word Lada?.Lada and Fiat are brothers and lots of the parts on both makes intertwine with one another.
Recently i showed a picture of a 131 to a person half my age and he said "wow a Lada".He had never seen a 131,but had seen Ladas.I asked him,what made you say that and he said that both makes of cars are boxy.So Kev,if a person half your age asks you where did you get your Lada/131, >:(please don't hit him .Eugene Wink

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.