Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:18:17 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Door mirror internal triangular backing trim
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Door mirror internal triangular backing trim  (Read 6145 times)
Crazypierre

« on: October 01, 2008, 04:35:21 PM »

Hi
Just trying to fit my recently-arrived passenger door mirror. To access the screws holding the external capping trim, I need to remove the internal capping trim firs. Is there a trick to removing the triangular plastic backing trim (that covers the screws on the inside of the door?) I am trying to lever the internal trim off gently but it seems to be holding fast via some sort of clips? I don't want to snap the clips off as I will need to put this trim back once I screw the mirror on.....
Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers
Pete

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »

From what I remember it's held in place by two plastic posts that fit into grommets on the door frame. So it should be a case of carefully pulling it back. You must pull it back from opposite sides so it comes away straight (parallel to the door frame). You cannot lever it off one side at the time as that will snap one (or both) of the holding posts.

Then again I may be remembering one of my other cars and not the 131CL...  Undecided

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Crazypierre

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »

Ef-haris-to Theo!
I will try that.
Pete
Crazypierre

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:42:49 AM »

ARGHHHH!!!!
Of course I managed to break the plastic trim as I was trying to lever it off! Drats!. (The little plastic stud was stuck solid in the grommet.) Just what I didn't want to do! Why is it when you try to improve something you end up ruining something else?

At least the new passenger door mirror is on now and fits nicely.
Pete
mclements131

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »

oh tricky trim brittle plastic was from new so   Huh aged more brittle Wink good mirror anyways beter for havin 2 Cheesy
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 12:57:32 PM »

Not the end of the world, don't worry too much. Use some flexible sticky stuff such as windscreen bond (or silicone rubber) to glue the trim back in place and it will look perfect. Use some tape to hold it in place overnight while the sticky stiff hardens.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 06:59:47 PM »

pierre
 yes the very same thing? happen when i did mine last week. the gromet? ?not having move for 25 years stuck solid,if i could see where the peg was i would have sushed some wd 40 all round ,which i had to do after
 jason

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:02:45 PM by jasonh131 » Logged

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Gremlino

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »

when i did mine last week

Now that looks just fine, no more 'is there anybody there?' moments.........well done Jason  Wink.

Signature has gone Kaput!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.