Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 02:29:04 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  clutch pedal set up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: clutch pedal set up  (Read 5345 times)
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« on: May 08, 2009, 09:20:33 PM »

After just fitting a nice new clutch, after 26 years on the old one, what the best way to set it up.
 ive got the the bulk head adjustment and arm adjust ment at the end of the cable , no return spring on that end......
 God i still ache 3 evening of a couple of hours , i think the first one did me in puting the box in on my belly
 under the car on concrete ,i  sure it did'nt hurt this much years ago Cry
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 08:16:32 AM by jasonh131 » Logged

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 09:14:52 AM »

From memory the nut on the arm end should be done up tight and the adjustment made on the other end at the bulkhead. Do you have a Haynes or Fiat manual? The specifications to set the adjustment should be in there. Roughly level with the brake pedal as a starting point.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »

Did only the sports have a return spring on the gearbox , my cl hasn't and i sure my super didn't

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 09:16:20 PM »

Shouldn't need a return spring on the gearbox end as the clutch spring is strong enough to return the arm when you release the pedal. None of my cars have had a return spring on the gearbox end, but, I have never owned a sport....

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
david

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 07:18:28 AM »

I agree as I used to remove the return spring off all my 131s, firstly for a lighter pedal and secondly because I think it stretches the clip earlier on the release bearing arm where it fits to the ball and I never had any trouble over tens of thousands of miles
curt

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »

The spring as I remember was to ensure that the clutch release bearing did not sit on the pressure plate causing pre-mature failure of said bearing  Huh
It also helped to keep the noise down when resting in neutral as the bearing was not turning on the plate  Smiley

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
Tas131

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »

The spring as I remember was to ensure that the clutch release bearing did not sit on the pressure plate causing pre-mature failure of said bearing? Huh
It also helped to keep the noise down when resting in neutral as the bearing was not turning on the plate? Smiley

For the 4 I've owned and any I worked on I've used the spring and replaced it if it was missing. For the above reasons and it also allows me to easily feel how much freeplay I have at the pedal.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »

Thats just what i thought..
 cheers guys

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.