Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 04:48:40 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  3MAers - Driving on the Continent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3MAers - Driving on the Continent  (Read 10353 times)
Firstlady

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 06:41:50 PM »

Hi First lady i reckon you hope the 131 performs well enough not to need the trailer so you can get your self a souvenir! what car will you buy?

What a great idea! I would like to have a Fiat 500 (an old one of course) or Fiat 600...
jogo

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »

SEE REPLIES IN CAPS BELOW

Hi All,

I suppose what I have to mention is only 'new' for those of us driving from the UK, but might also affect others hence my mentioning it here Wink

We need to be mindful of various Laws of  Road which are likely to affect us, along with items that we should all have in our cars in case of emergency.

1) A First Aid kit is mandatory in Germany   & REFLECTING WARNING TRIANGLE
1st AID KIT - YES ! IF YOU ARE STOPPED HERE FOR ANY REASON  WHATSOEVER (which seldoms happens; unless you look like a drug-courier with Amsterdam plates) & NOTHING ILLEGAL IS DISCOVERED; THE EXPIRATION DATE ON A 1st AID KIT MAY CAUSE YOU TO "branded as a dangerous-criminal".  Shocked

BRING ALL REGISTRATION DOCUMENTS; MOT CERT'S & INSURANCE PROOFS + ALL "PERSONAL DOCUMENTS*.  * I KNOW THIS SOUNDS SILLY TO MENTION, but in the ecitement of pcaking for a 113 MeetnIg" ALL SORTS OF IMPORTANT ITEMS MIGHT BE OVERLOOKED.

2) France and Belgium require Hi-Vis vests or jackets to be worn if you have to exit your vehicle on the carriageway. These are 'recommended' in Luxembourg too.  & COME IN HANDY...THEY DEFLECT RAIN & WIND AS WELL AS REFLECTING...
BUT KEEP THEM INSIDE THE CABIN & NOT IN THE BOOT / KOFFER OF YOUR CAR; SO YOU CAN GET TO THEM EASILY WHEN YOU HAVE TO;  DITTO 1st AID KIT !

3) I have also just read about a new Law being applied to Germany, similar to that in France, whereby traffic joining a carriageway from the right has 'right of way', that is to say that traffic on any road has to give way to traffic joining it from the right(!) Shocked THIS IS NOT TRUE...HOWEVER IT IS A MUCH APPRECIATED COURTESY TO DO SO WHEN TRAFFIC SITUATION ALLOWS ....AS IS SLOWING DOWN ENOUGH TO LET THOSE ENTERING FROM THE RIGHT TO ENTER THE HIGHWAY...WHEN TRAFFIC SITUATION ALLOWS !

Sounds amazing to me, but it might just be true.  This is apparently to slow down the traffic in built-up areas (!). Smashing into the back end of cars tends to do that I suppose Roll Eyes
TRAFFIC CIRCLES ARE ALWAYS A BIT IFFY; BUT THE GENERAL RULE IS THAT THE VEHICLE ENTERING THE CIRCLE DOES NOT HAVE PRIORITY !  

Can anyone please confirm or otherwise these Rules and please advise us if there anything else that we should consider?

AUTOBAHN "PARKING AREAS" NOW HAVE "NICE NAMES" SO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE STOPPED IN CASE OF EMERGENCY  ...
YOU CAN EXPECT AN ADAC-HELPER TO ARRIVE; IF YOU CALL THEM FROM A FREE CALL BOX (open the flap & yell into it) IN A SERVICE VEHICLE QUICKLY IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE...BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO JOIN ADAC TO AVOID PAYING FOR "ROADSIDE-REPAIRS".  IT IS WORTH IT !
ADAC PLUS COVERAGE IS GREAT & ONLY COSTS PENNIES MORE; INCLUDES GETTING YOUR CAR OFF THE HIGHWAY TO THE NEXT "easy to reach" SERVICE SHOP AT NO EXTRA COST:   Yes, there is a km limit to this courtesy, 50km might be accurate..

MOST INNER CITY/TOWN ROADS HAVE 30KPH SPEED LIMITS; ALTHOUGH THAT CAN DROP TO 20KPH NEAR SCHOOLS.  

Thanks

Simon               JOGO
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:25:06 PM by jogo » Logged
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »

GB stickers and beam defectors  Undecided
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=54575
some do, some don't ,some get fined as soon as they get of the ferry (France) some don't.
ja

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 04:38:50 PM »

Not an issue with my car, as it has both! Although strictly speaking shouldn't need the beam deflectors in Europe as the lenses are the original Italian ones. Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.