Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 10:06:34 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Next instalment in the 131 Story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Next instalment in the 131 Story  (Read 4248 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: April 13, 2011, 10:46:58 PM »

The latest article in the 131 Story section of the forum (131 Racing SA version) has just been created and posted on the site.

Big thanks to Willem in South Africa for authoring such an interesting and informative piece - It's personally fascinating to read stories like this about little known variants. Also acknowledging Theo's efforts in the IT area - Some jiggery pokery was necessary. Enjoy the read.  Smiley

http://www.131mirafiori.com/131story.htm
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:37:51 AM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Heini131

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »

I agree with Kevin!!

A big THANK YOU to all who worked on this story  Shocked

Fiat 131 S 1.6 green, Fiat 131 Walter Röhrl orange,Fiat 131 mirafioriSport orange
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »

A big THANK YOU Willem for the nice article, and of course Theo to be so helpful. Smiley
I can tell I know how much time and effort it takes to create a nice and historical correct story.

2 questions I still have at the moment: Wasn't there also the 1600 Rally? I am very interested in information about that version, eventually with production figures.
And I know from you that there are many SA RAcings left. Is it possible to create a complete list with details(LSD etc on specific cars), actual condition and history?   I really wish that was possible with the Volumetrico's but I know there it's not possible.

NICE!!

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:39:49 AM »

Willem, bedankt!  Grin Great article with lots of valuable information and great vintage pictures!

Reading your article it occurred to me that the Ineptitude (my "WR Replica") was built/restored according to (or at least close to) SA Racing standard:

It was decided to fit Fiat?s legendary Aurelio Lampredi ? designed 2 litre DOHC engine.  High compression pistons with a compression ratio of 10.2 were fitted.  Fuel supply was via twin 40mm Weber IDF carburetors mounted on a special inlet manifold...The suspension was lowered about 30mm all round and heavy duty coils and shock absorbers are fitted.  The car has a heavier front stabilizer bar and revised wheel camber for stability....The bonnet is a glass fibre unit incorporating a power bulge and air intake for the carburetors. The result of all this ?  a sports car to compete with the best of them

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
131R

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the compliments.  Albert I did start wih a register and managed to trace 9 of the original 16 cars.  Their conditions vary from an unrestored like new car, the red car in the article, to a barn find car that stood outside under a tree for 16 years!  I am in the process of restoring this car.  We are lucky to have two off these cars in the family.  My son restored one last year to an excellent condition.  He bought it last year from an estate.  The owner used to be a friend of mine and he bought it new in 1978 and was never interested in selling it.  He unfortunatly passed away one Sunday night and so my son got hold off the car.    I will send an article and pics of the 1600 Rally in South Africa.  They are also very rare now.  Robert you have a LOVELY car!  It looks like a SA Racing with the black bonnet.  Attached are pictures off my sons car he restored last year and the car I found standing outside for 16 years.

Willem
Johannesburg South Africa
Fiat 131 Racing (1979)   Fiat 131 Race Car (1978)  Fiat 128 Bakkie (ldv 1978)
Fiat Abarth Strada 130TC (1985)  Subaru WRX (2007)
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »

Willem,

All great to see and I am very interested.

Greetings, Albert

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.