Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 01:33:09 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Something odd about this Abarth engine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Something odd about this Abarth engine  (Read 4192 times)
mirafiori76

« on: December 14, 2012, 10:25:14 PM »

I noticed something odd about this Abarth engine. Is it me, or does it have 2 !! thermostats? There's nothing much to learn for me concerning group 4 131 Abarth cars, but i've never seen this before.
Anybody out there to shine a light on this? Smiley

* DSCN0238.JPG (176.39 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 565 times.)

Mike.131 Abarth group 4, 131 Racing Walter Rohrl, 131 1600 CL
N. Dinis

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:12:34 AM »

I would say that the upper part is not a thermostat but a simple T. Our engines have it metal shaped right after the cambelt, but in there for some reason there's a hose putting it further near to the radiator... Just my 2 pennys
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:49:17 AM »

The upper part certainly looks like a thermostat but can't really see the lower one. So I'd guess that the lower one is a simple T-piece. Hot water rises so with the thermostat higher up it will open slightly earlier and therefore keep the engine slightly cooler.

In my 8 valve engine, the blender thermostat has been removed, the T-piece in front of the head has been replaced with a simple 90 degree elbow for the top hose to the radiator and the thermostat (from a Ford Fiesta!) is fitted in the head (just like in a 124 twin cam). Controlling the temperature with a thermostat in or near the top hose is better and I think that's what the top thermostat in the pictured Abarth engine is doing.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafiori76

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »

Right what i was thinking. Looking at this engine i'm sure it's a "winter" version. There's no airfilter.

Tas131

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »

the thermostat is fitted in the head (just like in a 124 twin cam). Controlling the temperature with a thermostat in or near the top hose is better and I think that's what the top thermostat in the pictured Abarth engine is doing.

If the thermostat in the head was better, Fiat would not have changed to an external one. The external thermostat allows continuous full coolant flow through the engine, the in head type doesn't allow flow until it opens.

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 12:43:28 AM »

If the thermostat in the head was better, Fiat would not have changed to an external one. The external thermostat allows continuous full coolant flow through the engine, the in head type doesn't allow flow until it opens.

The in-head thermostat allows some flow as it has a small hole in the diaphragm. But I agree that the external blender thermostat allows more flow within the engine while closed so will give more uniform warm-up and will also make the heater work faster during warm-up. Good reasons for Fiat to change to this type from the in-head thermostat. But I believe that once the engine is up to temperature with thermostat open, there's better temperature control from a thermostat 'sensing' the temperature within the head than an external thermostat mounted away from the engine within the pipework.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
mirafiori76

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »

I would say that the upper part is not a thermostat but a simple T.
No, the upper part surely is a thermostat. This is an original fitted to all Abarth 131 engins.
The lower one i'm not sure of. It's not clearly visable if this is just a T-fitting.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.