Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 05:59:42 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Front Discs & Calipers Upgrade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front Discs & Calipers Upgrade  (Read 8538 times)
cypriot

« on: February 03, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »

Hello,

I just completed my search regarding front brake disc + brake calipers.

As I know Fiat Uno turbo front disc & calipers easy swap but I couldnt find any in my country.

I found 257.5 mm diameter ventilated front discs. These fitted to the Fiat Tempra 2.0, Fiat Tipo 2.0, Palio 1.6 16v, Fiat Doble etc. see pictures.  I will use 15" wheels and I don 't think that I 'll have space issue between calipers and wheels.

And the left front caliper which is for 257.5mm discs and it fits Tempra and Tipo.

Anyone have any opinion or advise please reply.

cheers

Ali

* Tipo - Tempra - Palio 257mm Haval?.jpg (98.05 KB, 500x500 - viewed 843 times.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:18:08 PM by cypriot » Logged

Fiat 131 2.0 Racing LHD 1981 (Ex Rally car)
WR Ltd Edition

Mods:
Gr.4 Tarmac BodyKit
124 Abarth cyl head
High Comp. Pistons
4-1 Header
H?rmann Intake Manifold
Weber 40 IDF Carbs
GC Spec FW
cypriot

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:06:39 AM »

Goodmorning,

Fiat use 2 type ventilated front disc at Tempra, one of them 240mm diameter and the other one 257,5mm

I also noticed that there is two type calipers one has 54mm piston diameter and the other one has 48mm piston

if outside of the both caliper can be fitted to the Fiat 131 (with manufactured mounting brackets) which caliper works best with oem master brake cylinder ?

cheers

Ali

WR Ltd Edition

Mods:
Gr.4 Tarmac BodyKit
124 Abarth cyl head
High Comp. Pistons
4-1 Header
H?rmann Intake Manifold
Weber 40 IDF Carbs
GC Spec FW
longhamrob

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »

I have two 131r's. They both have almost identical lightly tuned engines.
Both have had all new brake systems.
The earlier car has a standard brake system. The other has Fiat uno turbo calipers & ventilated discs on the front.
In my opinion you cannot tell the difference between them.
If i was to rebuild another 131r i would keep the standard system which is easily sufficient under normal road use.
Should you proceed with uno turbo upgrade you will need to get some brake hoses made up by hand & due to the different angle where the hose fits to the caliper, you will find the exact length of this hose is critical to avoid it rubbing on the chassis rail near the top end of the hose.
I remember this being a lot of trouble for no appreciable gain.
POQ 131

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »

If i was to rebuild another 131r i would keep the standard system which is easily sufficient under normal road use.
Well said that man.
It is my experiance that the brake pressure bias regulator must be in good working order & adjusted correctly to get the most out of the brakes. Buy a new one.
My 131 has an all new  brake system, standard front discs & calipers & 132 rear discs & calipers, the pistons are stainless sleeved & all else is new. I think the disc rear is a good first option upgrade.
It stops better than my Ford with 2 spot calipers & way bigger ventilated discs. I like the feel & control of the Fiats brakes as well.
O.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:43:20 PM by POQ 131 » Logged

O.
cypriot

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »

Hi all,

I bought 257mm ventilated disc and this morning I manage to find calipers for these discs.
The pair which I bought manufactures by ATE also it has Bendix stamp on it. They are definetly same calipers which are pictured at the link.

You can find details about these brake system. Disc, pads, calipers. These are used several different Fiat, Lancia and AlfaRomeo models. Google oem part numbers which are stated at the link

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d5888.html

WR Ltd Edition

Mods:
Gr.4 Tarmac BodyKit
124 Abarth cyl head
High Comp. Pistons
4-1 Header
H?rmann Intake Manifold
Weber 40 IDF Carbs
GC Spec FW
cypriot

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 07:01:58 AM »

Hello,

the distance between caliper mounting holes are 100mm of these ATE calipers.

what is the distance between caliper mounting holes which calipers installed to the stub axle of stock Fiat 131 ?

Answer : oem caliper mounting holes also has 100mm distance
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:09:25 PM by cypriot » Logged

WR Ltd Edition

Mods:
Gr.4 Tarmac BodyKit
124 Abarth cyl head
High Comp. Pistons
4-1 Header
H?rmann Intake Manifold
Weber 40 IDF Carbs
GC Spec FW
cypriot

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:03:36 PM »

Hello,

I just confirmed that the calipers can be fitted to the Fiat 131 stub axle (I hope I use correct word for this part. It is a part which you mount caliper on it)

for this conversion you need

a-  5mm longer caliper bolts than the Fiat 131 oem caliper bolts. (there is a long and short one each should be 5mm longer)

b- 5mm thick spacer (washer) between caliper and caliper mount.

C- this setup can be fitted with 14" steel wheels

D- you should use bigger calipers oem rubber pipes which straight fit fiat 131 steel brake pipes

left front caliper fits right front of Fiat 131 and bigger right front caliper fits left front.

with this setup oil pipes connection stay upper part as oem Fiat 131.

also center hole diameter of 257mm discs just tight fits to the oem Fiat 131 stub axle which naturally make disc to fit perfectly center.

cheers

Cyp
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:13:03 PM by cypriot » Logged

WR Ltd Edition

Mods:
Gr.4 Tarmac BodyKit
124 Abarth cyl head
High Comp. Pistons
4-1 Header
H?rmann Intake Manifold
Weber 40 IDF Carbs
GC Spec FW
sid131

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »

Hi Cypriot its called a "Hub" stub axle is the part where the wheel bearings go onto
cypriot

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »

Hi Cypriot its called a "Hub" stub axle is the part where the wheel bearings go onto

thanks sid131  Grin

if you or anyone have information please enlighten to me regarding following setup

first setup
front 257mm discs with ATE single 54mm pistons
rear standard drums

second setup
front 257mm discs with ATE single 54mm pistons
rear Fiat 124 rear discs and calipers ( 34 mm pistons not sure ) in the near future

Do I need to replace brake master cylinder ?

cheers

Cyp

WR Ltd Edition

Mods:
Gr.4 Tarmac BodyKit
124 Abarth cyl head
High Comp. Pistons
4-1 Header
H?rmann Intake Manifold
Weber 40 IDF Carbs
GC Spec FW
cypriot

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »

Hello agaion,

does anyone have cad drawings or dimensions of the Fiat 124 rear brake caliper bracket / mount and willing to share?

I need to manufacture bracket in order to fit rear disc brakes and calipers to my Fiat 131 solid axle.

cheers

Ali

WR Ltd Edition

Mods:
Gr.4 Tarmac BodyKit
124 Abarth cyl head
High Comp. Pistons
4-1 Header
H?rmann Intake Manifold
Weber 40 IDF Carbs
GC Spec FW
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.