Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 11:53:37 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  My very own 3MA2014 ;)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My very own 3MA2014 ;)  (Read 3673 times)
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« on: July 21, 2014, 07:21:55 AM »

Gentlemen,

here's some impressions of my very own 3MA2014 - no, not the Maximum Mirafiori Mobilization Attempt but the Maximum Mercedes Mountaineering Attempt  Grin

Since we were taking Vasco along (which ruled out the Ineptitude as a means of transport) and didn't want to go in the VascoExpress (a classic car it had to be!), the first idea was to take the Alfa GTV. But we ended up in the V8 Mercedes, which was not a bad choice at all. So we left Munich for the Alps, and this is what lay ahead:

• 3 driving days
  • 4 countries
  • 1200 km
  • 17 passes
  • 35000 meters altitude difference

But see for yourself:

There's no better way planning an itinerary than real old school material. Here's the Grosser Alpenstrassenf?hrer, first edition 1957 (!) und a map of Austria-Switzerland-Italy from 1964...

Leaving Munich, the first pass to cross in Austria is the dinky little Fernpass:

On to Italy via the Reschenpass, still no challenge:

A short stop on the shores of Lake Reschen:

And there she is, the Queen of Alpine Passes, the Stelvio!

After descending the 47odd hairpin bends at considerable speed  Cool the 4 disc brakes raised the white flag. But by the time we climbed up the next pass, they were back to normal. So, on we went up the Gavia Pass, which turned out to be my favorite - narrow, windy, low traffic:

Few classic cars on the road, but when chased they gave way to the V8 quickly:

After crossing the Tonale pass and the Mendola pass we reached Bolzano, where we stayed for the night:

The next day saw us racing up the Stelvio once again:

And on to Switzerland via the Umbrail pass; they even gave us a short stretch of gravel road!

Down in the valley, brakes were gone for the 2nd time. The next stop was the Fuorn (the Furnace pass):

Crossing the Bernina pass, we left Switzerland for Italy:

And we reached Bolzano again via the passes Aprica, Tonale and Mendola:

And in the evening, we even wer presented with the famous alpenglow!

The next day we headed back for Munich. On our way to Penser Joch, we met a true vintage car:

Two more 2000 meter passes to go, here's the first one, the Jaufen pass:

Vasco in the back seat, overlooking his realm:

Room with a view:

The last high pass, the Timmelsjoch:

And the last one to go, the mostly unknown Buchener Sattel at 1252 meters:

The proof for spirited driving:

(Front pads down to 2 mm)

My general impression: lots of bunglers on the roads. If you are into spirited driving, there's few competitors even for the heavy S Class (only two four wheelers overtook us on the pass roads, they being a pair of Ariel Atoms); in contrary, we had to urge e.g. super sport cars (att: IRONY!!) like Audi TT or Mercedes R230 to give way. Even the motorbike riders were taking it too easy; I couldn't imagine to overtake them uphill, but stopped counting at 20.

If anybody is seriously interested in doing a drive like this in a 131 or a gang of 131s, let me know. I have some ideas  Wink However, since the high passes only open at the end of June and close in September, July 2015 should be the target date.

Best regards, hope you enjoyed the pictures although no 131 is present,
Robert

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:38:48 AM »

Very interesting Robert. Grin Thanks for sharing. Cool

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
sid131

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »

Beautiful scenery Robert thanks for the pics Grin
even an old timer with the steering wheel on the right side lol! Cheesy Grin Wink
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »

Great account of an inspiring road trip Robert. Sounds very tempting to do it all again and I agree that the Stelvio is ....well let's just say it leaves an impression!  Wink

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

my 131 gasping for air  and climbing temp gauge up that last mountain park in Bavaria still sends shivers down my spine ...

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Robert

Hasta la victoria siempre!

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »

Here's another proof for spirited driving - changed the front brake pads today, no wonder the wear indicator light was on  Roll Eyes

* 2014-belaege.jpg (90.52 KB, 800x533 - viewed 323 times.)

Current motors: Fiat 131 Sport 2000TC "WR Replica" 1978, Fiat Dino 2400 BC 1972, Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1974, Mercedes-Benz 560SEL 1987, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 24V 1999, Volvo V70 T5 2000 ("VascoExpress")
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.