Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 10:06:26 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Quirky car features
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quirky car features  (Read 6678 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: October 25, 2008, 05:37:24 PM »

This is a subject that has often occurred to me - ie What are the more unusual car features that never took off?

What prompted me to raise it now is that I have hired quite a few different cars over the past few months, Musa, Fabia, Focus, 207, etc and the conformity of the major controls in modern cars makes the chore of swopping from to another easier as the years go by. The lights, wipers, indicators, electric windows/mirrors are either all in the same place or operate quite intuitively.

But it wasn't always this way...

What are the unique or unusual features that distinguished certain models?

For example I remember reading that an early version of the Datsun 180B Bluebird had central locking, but manual unlocking!! It also had a 4 speaker sound system, the front 2 speakers were for the radio and the rear 2 for the cassette player!!? Roll Eyes

The Merceds Benz 190 when first launched had electric operation of the outside door mirror, but only on the passenger side - The drivers side was manual! Logical and cheaper I suppose, but quite unusual.

The series 3 Fiat 132 had wonderful dark sun shades (front & side) which retracted invisibly into the roof lining when not required. They offered an alternative to the complete blind spot created by the more common type and having 4 avoided the requirement to swing them between windows depending on the cars relation to the sun - I can't understand why this feature did not become universal!

I'm sure there must be many more like these out there...Can anyone think of any others..? Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »

The series 1 Argenta also has 132 2000 style sun shades, but the series 2 reverted to the traditional style....

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
sid131

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:09:40 PM »

Those 132 sun visors were the biz, the datsun 180b SSS had 1st gear where second normally is, 1970 celicas ta22 gt had electric front windows pusn button radio heated screen & hazards
MarkoH

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:52:36 PM »

Here in Scandinavia we have our Saab 900:

They used to have a transmission lock instead of a steering lock. Also the hand brake in Saab 900 affected to front wheels until year 1988. Engine was fitted longitudinally but the timing chain was in the "wrong end" of the motor just under the windshield - how easy to maintain? Gearbox worked also as an oil sump - it was fitted under the motor.

I used to have 1984 Saab 900 Aero with all these nice things we call "Saabism". Here she is:

Marko Hannula
Mynamaki, Finland

Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130 TC -86
Ford Sierra RS Cosworth -86
sid131

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »

Cool car!
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »

My Lancia 2000 has also the dogleg box with the 1st out of the schedule, but there were a lot more cars who had it.Several italian cars had primitive cruise control, you just gave a bit gas by hand and could secure.
My Tatra 613 has ventilators in the frontseats besides heating, it also has a heater which works on petrol and an even different pattern for the gears2=3. 3=2, 4=5 and 5=4, 1 is also out of the pattern. Oh, and the aircooled fuel injected engine is in the back.
Lancia used a system where you had to push the key instead of turn it to start, they also used the horn button for flashing big light, the horn is then in the ring around.
On the first series of Flaminia Berlina they had IN and Outside rearscreen wipers!!
Yeah, Lancia is fantastic with special solutions, small block V4's, the first V6 ever produced, Boxers together with FWD, windows which go around into the roof(Flavia Zagato).
My Syrena has a special seat adjustment. You just take out the seat and put in in place in other holes, simple and effective!
What do we think of the 2nd series Mirafiori dashbord with the 2 sliding"doors"?
My Giulia has a button on the floor which operate the windscreenwiper, last week I checked an Amazon with the same kind of button, here it is for the big light.
Citro?n is also great, think about the 1arm steering wheels, eye for the speed(had Lancia also), Hydreupneumatic things, the brakebutton, on later cars the standing part of the steeringwheel.
I also like the possibility to open the rearwindows with a handle between the frontseats on the Peugeot 309 GTI(16v) and the possibility on Rolls Royces to store the mascot in the grille.
Not to talk of all newer and older electronic gadgets on several marques and for now last but not least, our Dutch proud, the DAF withn Variomatic, a truly brilliant easy to drive system! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
wak131

OOo ///// oOO

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 10:00:49 PM »

The Tatra 613 with its aircooled two twin carbs fed 3,5L V8 in the back is a whole quirky machine Cheesy and I love it. It?s a pitty not a lot of them can be seen in these days here in the country of origin.
But there is a chance its predecessor Tatra 603 will be produced again in a small collectors series..looking forward to it.

Our 1970 Ford Cortina 1300 had a feature that it could roll away almost upright from a raw of cars parked along a pavement, well until we repaired the moved block of steering, but this function was incredible with no sideefects:)

* 1958.jpg (102.26 KB, 892x375 - viewed 734 times.)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:18:03 PM by wak131 » Logged

131 enthusiast from Prague. ?78 Super 1600, ?82 CL 1600, ex ?82 Super 2000
djape1977

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »

those 132 sun shades are best ever!
1972. ford 17m has a handbrake on the left of the steering wheel, next to bonnet opener handle.
1981. f132 2500d has a manual throttle next to a choke, it can also be used as cruise control
citroen GS (early '80.-s) has longitudinaly mounted front engine with front wheel drive but brake discs are not where you might expect them! they're next to a gearbox. thamn complicated to change

get a bigger hammer!
sid131

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:01:20 AM »

Hillman hunters had the handbrake on the right side beside the door,
Celica ra24 & ra29 s had a control panel & computer esp that lit up saying the fluid levels were low or that a tail bulb was blown

* esphf3.jpg (28.98 KB, 691x461 - viewed 796 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.