Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 02:57:39 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Did anyone watch "The Real Italian Job"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did anyone watch "The Real Italian Job"  (Read 4987 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: December 30, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »

This was on the telly Sunday night after Top Gear.

It was a bit of reality TV following some celebrity chef who sight unseen bought a 1948 Maserati for ?650k that needed an engine rebuild to ultimately partake in the Mille Miglia.

It is getting a lot of bad press on various forums mainly about the guy's behaviour on camera but aside from that I really enjoyed watching the programme and I couldn't help making small connections with our own upcoming Italian trip as we drive those stunning mountain passes in the company of similar minded Italian car enthusiasts.

Did anyone see it and what did you think..? Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:25:19 AM »

I saw it and very much enjoyed it. A few things seemed 'strange' to me though. They said the car needed an engine rebuild but it sounded fine when driven before the rebuild. They even commented on how well it was going and how fast it was. Then having decided to rebuild what was seemingly a good engine (at an astronomical cost as all parts had to be made) they take the car untested on a gruelling 1000 mile race. No doubt the engine gave up after 120 miles of hard driving. Haven't they heard of running in a new engine? And let's be honest, if you really must take part in the Millie Miglia, you can do so with a whole range of affordable cars made between 1928 and 1957 so why use a 1948 Maserati A6GCS 'Monofaro', one of only 15 made, which cost an amount they kept saying he couldn't afford?  There was a lot of over-dramatisation for the sake of the TV audience I thought but the show, the cars, the Italian scenery and all the eccentric rich people taking part made very enjoyable viewing. 

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Gremlino

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:49:06 AM »

Yes Kev/Theo,

I tuned in expecting to see something about cookery and the occasional reference to classic cars.

It was a pleasant surprise to see the prog was all about classic cars and the Mille Miglia with hardly a reference to cooking ?Smiley

Ok, so now after watching it I'm aware that James Martin is a customer of
Harry Enfields 'I Saw You Coming' shop, as in he has zero street savvy Cheesy

He also doesn't listen to the advice given to him by his engine builder about running in!

I would say it sounded a bit heavier than valves....more 'endy' ?Cry

Oh well the Nouveau Riche will have their fun and learn the hard way....just a shame it had to be with a lovely Maserati that demanded more care and attention than it recieved.

I would have liked to have seen more of the other cars competing and their crews, I know Colin Pool (co-driver in the Alfa) and he is a real 'character' in and out of a car, just mix Keith Floyd, Leslie Philips & Jacky Ickx and you get Colin....enough said ?Wink

Lets hope mr Martin gets his act together for the 2009 MM and makes a better attempt....(he should've bought an old M.G. or Riley). ?

Signature has gone Kaput!
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »

I would say it sounded a bit heavier than valves....more 'endy' ?Cry

Yes, I thought so too.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »

I watched it too and would also say that I fail to see why he had to purchase such an expensive car, especially as he had already suggested that the only cars that he could find after doing research were already well known to the market and hadn't sold.

I'd agree with Gremlino 100% - the seller and engine rebuilder saw James Martin coming! I'd also have to agree that the engine sounded far more serious than just a valve to me too Shocked A fool and his money are easily parted, and that was certainly true of James Martin.

The other thing that I thought strange was that he didn't have a clue about how 'his' car worked, other than knowing where the petrol went!

I was also surprised that he didn't in any way attempt to drive any reliability into the car before canning it in front of an enthusiastic Italian crowd.

At the end of the show he saw the BMW Isetta finish and said that he could have done the MM in his one - so why didn't he?

All extremely staged in my opinion and he deserved to fail - principally because he had no idea how to treat an 'old' car and everything was left to the last minute. He was only in it to make money as far as I can see, as he said that by driving his Mazerati it would make the ?850k investment a ?1 million sale, which surprises me Shocked

If he does it again perhaps he'll chose a car that has already been proven.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »

If anyone who didn't see it will like to see it, the programme will be repeated on Sunday 4th January 2009 at 7:00pm on BBC2. Of course that information is only of use to those of us who can receive BBC2 TV which presumably includes Ireland?  Huh

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
theredx19
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

The man was a prat but the reason behind such a rare car was to ensure his entry into the race but with the engine she would have been running sodium valves to take the heat and that engine did sound like a dropped valve as they do make a very heavy knock, but I loved the attitude of the mechanic "finito"
curt

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »

His mechanic should have been shot? Angry
If that was me in my old days-and as they said they had loads of spares-They should have whipped the head off instead of messing with spark plugs which given the horrendous knocking-I wouldnt have done anyway-first thing would have been drop the sump and look for the obvious rod that was trying to break away from the crank ( in my humble opion) . Obviously the engine rebuild was not so good and again in my opinion one of the rod end bearings was either wrong or ran dry(could be oil pump but i guess they had a pressure gauge)
If this was the case a shell bearing change would be less than 3 hours work-but instead they fiddled with sprk plugs and then went to bed-After Running round looking for a valve replacement that wasnt even confirmed? Undecided Undecided
A good show all the same but a bit annoying to those of us who are better
 mechanically knowledged Grin Grin
If james does read this -Ill be your mechanic if you try again next year? Grin Grin

Solihull West Midlands
Still keeps hoping for another sport !
theredx19
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 07:19:47 PM »

I would have to disagree sorry but by taking out the plug you will find debris on it from the valve failure and also as it had a major miss on at least 2 cylinders this would normally eliminate bearing failure unless a rod broke free but you would expect to see damage on the outside of the block. James had said earlier that a race fuel was being used so this would need sodium valves which have a bad habit of braking up, this engine was rebuilt by professionals in these engines and James never tested or ran  it in which I would say was against the advice of the builder but he was not even sure as to what the max rpm on running in was but running in on a race what a prat. And if you ever saw the damage from a dropped valve his mechanic was right to walk as James had not got spare pistons which was against advice.  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.