Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 11:09:23 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Sicilian 131s
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sicilian 131s  (Read 5608 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: September 23, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »

As I have mentioned elsewhere I have just returned from the annual trip to Italy (although Sicilians bristle if you call them Italian). A fantastic experience (as usual) and the best trip for classic Fiats so far.

As we toured the island, scrapyards were a regualr stop with a request for any cento trente unos. One particlur spot answered with an emphatic Si and let me wander around to find it - Not knowing what version I would find I was stunned to find a complete, rust free, original and very clean SuperMirafiori - 1400TC. It had had an impact on the front left and need a new wing and door - Otherwise it was straight as a pin with glowing paintwork - A real shame to throw it away. Unfortunately it exceeded my Ryanair baggage allowance so I had to content myself with bits and bobs. Enjoys the pics - and notice how the car was being stripped bit by bit - although I am not responsible for removing the wheels!? Wink

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:08:21 AM »

Blimey Kev - that looks sweet! No rust at all Shocked Not even around the fuel filler area Shocked I think had it been me, I'd have got a mate to send me some plates from home, given the Scrappy a few euros, bolted in a battery and driven her home.? Wink I'd have used it in place of my 528i Sport I've just had to part with Cry Cry Cry

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:27:45 AM »

I know Si - Couldn't believe it was being scrapped - Would never happen in the UK or Ireland but they have much less value and are in much bigger supply in Italy. It really did look like all was needed was a battery and some petrol!? Grin

Got a full set of seatbelts from it along with switches, trim, some light fittings, etc - Had to keep it light because of Ryanair weight allowance!

What a great donor car it would have been to have alongside my white one!!

Sorry to hear the BMW is gone but at the same time congrats at selling her finally. Huh

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:13:07 AM »

The amount of body parts on that 131 is tremendous :oKev,are you responsable for taking the reg plates of that car Huh Roll Eyes.Maybe you have them at home as Souvenirs Undecided Huh Roll Eyes.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
131DHOC

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:07:36 PM »

Hi Kev131, this is a very interesting car; as you can see the expansion tank is different from all 131's, That is it's at the left side of the radiator and not in front of the left strut. This is typical of the last units. I presume you dismantled the rear sill and watching the images seems the car was fitted with three rear seat belts, isn't it? By now I just have seen a few 131's with two and not three seat belts in the rear, and the original brochures show some cars with just two belts. The central belt never appears and I was concerned there was no way to fit an automatic belt in the central place. Have you any images of the rear seat before dismantling it? And, can you tell me what is the stright-cutted plastic patch in this photo?

I have never seen it on any third series 131. Thanks and nice photos!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:11:08 PM by 131DHOC » Logged
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:31:24 PM »

Hi - I have checked and have no photos of the rear seat belts in situation. Sorry.

I do have a memory of the car having 3 rear seat belts but once I got to sorting out all the bits and parts afterwards I discovered that I only had 2 rear belts.

I suspect that the plastic rectangle is to allow the seat belt to feed through the carpet.? Wink

Kevin Doyle
Limerick, Ireland
131DHOC

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »

This car also has the 14 inches steel wheels, almost all cars were fitted with 13 inch wheels, and for sure before this accident occurred also fitted the corresponding 14  inches steel rings all rond, they look cool, It's a shame they threw all to the wreck. No rust at all.... Sad
Paul S

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:40:41 AM »

This car also has the 14 inches steel wheels, almost all cars were fitted with 13 inch wheels, and for sure before this accident occurred also fitted the corresponding 14? inches steel rings all rond, they look cool, It's a shame they threw all to the wreck. No rust at all.... Sad

If my memory serves me correctly all silver 14" wheels were fitted from late 83 or early 84 onward to the Supermirafiori (not sure if standard or as an option though).? I remember seeing a few met blue and silver ones with these wheels.? I also have a 84 131 brochure and there is a met blue Super featured with the 14" wheels (I will scan at some point and post).? Back in 1988 I fitted 14" wheels from a Sport to my 82 S3 Super and I deliberated leaving them all silver or painting in the black inserts as I had seen an Y or A reg Super with all silver 14" wheels and thought it looked cool (these wheels also did not look quite as deep as the Sport wheels).? After pressure from a mate with a Sport I went with the black inserts........
Tas131

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »

Hi Kev131, this is a very interesting car; as you can see the expansion tank is different from all 131's, That is it's at the left side of the radiator and not in front of the left strut.

Most of the series 2 cars I've seen in Australia had the expansion tank beside the radiator!

Mick.
Tasmania. Australia.
Red/grey series 2 (Daily driver)
Dark blue series 1 (Dismantled)
Light blue series 2 (Crashed then dismantled)
Metallic blue series 2 (Dismantled)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.