Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 05:51:51 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  leaning to the right (unpolitical)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: leaning to the right (unpolitical)  (Read 4125 times)
longhamrob

« on: May 02, 2010, 11:09:47 AM »

My 131R leans to the o/s front by about 20cm. I also notice the wheel is slightly back the same side but only noticable when viewed from the front. It has had a new wing & door at some stage so accident damage possible.  Ive replaced all of the front suspension with new. The only original parts are the roll bar, hubs & springs. Even the chassis bed has been changed. The struts were swiched sides but no difference eliminating weak spring.  The strut turrets & chassis look in perfect condtion & the car has never been welded. The car drives perfectly & all bodywork gaps are spot on.  Anyone got any ideas or  where critical dimensions could be taken...??
sid131

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »

check that the wheel centres are the same distance & cross square the car from 2 points underneath & put a straight edge across at the bulkhead & at the front just behind the front panel & measure from the chassis leg to the straight edge, i have all these lines scribed on my 131 so i can cross measure & cross reference the measurements any time while welding in the new chassis legs etc to keep the car square at all times.
longhamrob

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:30:21 AM »

Thankyou. I shall do that now. I did measure the wheel centres with the girlfriend. God knows where she held the tape to but it was 2mm shorter.  Looking from the front of the car it seems more like 1 inch. Did worry that the whole thing is twisted but all gaps are perfect. If not to much trouble can you measure the distance between the centre of your turrets + or - 2mm as this will probably show the fault. Thanks...
sid131

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:00:57 PM »

here are some pics i have measured from the points arrowed across & its 1238mm or 48 3/4"
under the car take a measurement from the centre of the outside axle linkbar front bolt to the centre of the back crossmember bolt & they should be the same measurement each side & the car is square & the wheel centres should be the same also.

* steering wheel boss 001.jpg (75.85 KB, 640x480 - viewed 397 times.)

* steering wheel boss 002.jpg (42.88 KB, 640x480 - viewed 391 times.)
sid131

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:05:42 PM »

if you need any more measurements just ask but i cant tell you the whee centres as my car is just a shell at the moment

* steering wheel boss 003.jpg (37.83 KB, 640x480 - viewed 412 times.)
longhamrob

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »

The measurements you gave me are exactly the same & so was the rear to front distance on both sides. It may be a bent antiroll bar. I have a spare although from a 1600TC so i'll hold it up & have a look shortly.
sid131

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 01:36:54 PM »

it couls be that or a bend in the control arm or the crossmember, fingers crossed its a simple fix.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.