Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 08:14:34 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  First drive in a classic Fiat Croma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First drive in a classic Fiat Croma  (Read 4606 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: December 30, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »

A recently sold (on Ebay UK) Croma CHT has made its way to Ireland and I had the pleasure of driving it today. This satisfied me on various levels as I had actuallty been considering bidding on the car (and didn't & was wondering about its condition) and I also had never driven one of these cars.

All in all it was a very surprising and pleasant experience. I did not expect how closely to a modern car it felt both in handling and the controls and as this particluar model had led a sheltered life (only 27,000 miles from new) and having just been serviced the car felt tight and responsive. My power expectations from a 90bhp 2 litre engine were guite low but it felt quite sprightly in 2nd and 3rd, certainly quicker than my lighter Supermirafiori. The gear change was positive and the steering provided good feedback. The s/wheel was more flatly angled though, more lke a trucks than a car. The car also had almost zero space to rest my left foot, something overlooked on the RHD conversion maybe..?

The heater worked very well as did all the electrics. It had 4 new Pirelli tyres so I felt confident pushing it a little on the wet roads. Currently it is in daily use shuttling its owner between the UK and Ireland and after my short drive, I'd be confident that the car should provide reliable and comfortable transport, all for a rediculously low purchase price (which included sparkling alloy wheels from the Turbo version).  Smiley

Here are some pics from the Ebay listing.

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
Sev131

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »

Ah nice one Kev, so Bob woodwards car is sold.

I had some brand new spares for this car which i sold to him.

It was bought by a recovery truck chap/cars for scrap who lives 1 mile away from me before bob bought it. Glad he saw sense and mot'd it to sell on.

Best of luck to the new owner.
djape1977

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:27:52 PM »

certainly quicker than my lighter Supermirafiori

somethings wrong with your 131 than. i've had croma I.E. with 122bhp and it wasn't faster than 131 in any regime except a bit higher top speed

get a bigger hammer!
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »

certainly quicker than my lighter Supermirafiori

somethings wrong with your 131 than. i've had croma I.E. with 122bhp and it wasn't faster than 131 in any regime except a bit higher top speed

Well my Supermirafiori is only 1367cc with 75 bhp...! Wink

I didn't do a back to back test & my 131 does feel sprightly...but the Croma felt like it had bigger stronger lungs...if you know what I mean.... Smiley

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
djape1977

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:53:35 PM »

sorry, i thought that you had 1,6 or 2.0 supermirafiori

get a bigger hammer!
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »

Theo and I have always said how good these 'classic' Cromas are Kev! Grin We weren't joking!  Wink Cool

I had a silver, one owner 1987 D-reg 2.0 ie Super for about 7 years from late 1995 and it was a wonderful workhorse. I had a 2.0 20v Marea HLX around the same time and often used the Croma for the long motorway journeys I had to undertake at the time for work as it was more comfortable! Shocked Huge boot on the Croma too and bags of space for the passengers.

I considered bidding on this Croma too, but I have nowhere to put another car and no funds at the moment to properly care for it.  Undecided One day I hope to have another, until then I'm enjoying reveiwing your/ebay pics. Happy days. Cool Grin Wink

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
124 man

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »

Bit of a Fiat gathering in Tipp Kev , track day  Wink

Keeper of 124s 125 &  132
Rob 131

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:05:51 AM »

Kev / Simon

Lovely photos of a very underated car. My uncle late in 1986 had one of the first Turbo's (in red) imported to Ireland. I remember it having exceptional performance at the time Shocked.

These cars were exceptional value used and I remember looking for myself at a blue F reg 2.0 Super in 1993. I was eventually offered a friends mum E30 320i at a very knock down price and bought that instead Undecided.

It is a shame that Fiat / Lancia / Alfa no longer offer a car in this class. If there was a modern version of a 1991 Alfa 164 Cloverleaf, I'd be camped in the Fleet Manager's garden Grin.

Rob

Rob 131: 2019 BMW 530d M Sport, 2019 Mini Cooper Clubman, 2015 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 Performance Edition & 2012 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.3JTDM

Formally Owned an Orange 1979 131 Mirafiori Sport in 90/91

UK
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.