Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 08:08:41 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  My 131 Sport- Just got out of Dads barn after 15 years!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My 131 Sport- Just got out of Dads barn after 15 years!  (Read 3361 times)
131sportfan

« on: July 20, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »

Hi All
I have owned this 131 Sport for about 23 Years (It was my second one). It has been residing in my dads barn for last 15! He is now moving so I have to decide if I want to resore it or sell it to someone with more time.

It has 80K genuine mileage from new, just before I  stored it I had a new clutch, tarox brakes, cam belt fitted.
The head was gas flowed by Guy Croft and it has twin dellortos, K&N's 4 branch manifolds etc... Engine and gearbox in were in good order before storage but body work is in a bit of a mess
What do you think? What is it worth if restored? I have always loved these cars and dont want to break it as doing so would break me!
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Tim
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »

Anything can be restored if you have the time, skill, money, facilities etc. I guess it depends on how much of those you have and what condition the body is in.

As to what it will be worth restored it is difficult to say as condition is everything. One car for example that was restored to a high standard may be sell for ?10,000 whereas others may fetch ?3-5000.

You have to take restoration costs into account though if you restore it and sell it. I personally think you would be unlikely to make much of a profit particularly if you end up paying other people to do the work. Even if you do all the labour yourself, the cost of parts and materials soon add up.

Why not post up a few pictures showing the good and not so good areas of the car so people can see the type of work which needs doing?

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
131sportfan

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »

Thanks for that. I would like to restore it to former glory if possible. I have a local garage chap that is a very good welder. I think I will ask him to pop over tomorrow to see if it can be saved.
It was pretty rust free as it had a full bare metal respray before I got it. Unfortunatly not in a genuine colour (metallic blue and sign written with abarth badge and logos). However many panels look ok- front wings have no rust, boot and roof in good nick rest have rusted abit. In the engine bay there is no rust-so shock mounts have no rust. I havn't tried to start it yet but I expect it to start. Interior is in good condition, especially the rear.

I have a spare perfectly good 131 Sport head and valves etc.. with inlet manifold in the boot -complete with high torque cams. I may sell it if anyone is interested? How much is it worth?
Cheers
tim
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »

If the head is a standard 2 litre head they don't make that much as they come up for sale quite a bit. The cams are more sort after however. Prices asked can vary quite a bit. Ebay auctions can be useful to help gauge how much things are worth although you often have to look at more that one auction as ebay can be a bit fickle.

I guess it depends what make and spec the cams are too.

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.