Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 05:55:25 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  Blast from my past!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blast from my past!!  (Read 4739 times)
grahamS53

« on: November 16, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »

Just came across this old picture from Mallory park. My friends Bill and Dans family owned the local Fiat dealership in Southend and they both ran an Abarth a piece, very sucessfully as it happens . The cars were built in house by Dan, from two new cars and did very well in the Italian Intermarqe cup. Dont think anyone would be striping a new one to race today! Roll Eyes G

PS Apologies if this post apears twice but it kept saying "already posted" while not showing up so tried again.G

* bill and dan.jpg (39.65 KB, 640x389 - viewed 520 times.)
FIATLANCIATWINCAM.CO.UK

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »

Wonderful photo great to see the 130 Abarth ready for battle so to speak..

More photos of the IIC and perhaps the very car you show here - in the link below:

http://www.131mirafiori.com/smf/index.php?topic=1426.0

I used to spectate this event with my father and brothers and have many great memories of the late great Barry Waterhouse in his (barely) legal Uno Turbo and John Days Lancia Beta battling it out on track - Barry always in some sort of dispute with the scrutineers about the spec of his UNO which was heavily breathed on. . .

Barry once said to me one evening at a pub in Camberwell (near his last garage EVOLUTION ENGINEERING) that "they were all (IIC DRIVERS) feasting on Italys finest."

And he was right - a lot of the cars racing in the IIC are now much sought after for example (and not limited to)  S1 Alfa33 / Lancia BMC + BC / 131 Sport / 130TC STRADA etc etc.

For me the halcyon days of Italian saloon car racing and -  sadly - never likely to be repeated. . .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:17:13 PM by FIATLANCIATWINCAM.CO.UK » Logged

Joe Mead.
Lanchester LA10. LD10. LEDA.
Various classic Fiats and Citroens
Lanchester Club UK
FIAT LANCIA TWINCAM CLUB UK
grahamS53

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »

Correct me if i am wrong but i think it was at this meeting that a certain Mr Waterhouses Uno Turbo never actually crossed the start line as from his grid slot at the start it spat itself sideways into the pit wall!! This was the last meeting i spectated at prior to finishing my own Beta Coupe that i raced originally in the "Budget Rent a car" Modified saloon car championship. Would think you would of seen that to? G
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »

I remmember the southend boys , who then went on to a tipo 16v . Belle vue garage long gone as is the other fiat dealer ship HWS in southend .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:11:41 PM by jasonh131 » Logged

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
grahamS53

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »

Bill and Dan now own Belle Vue which is a Honda bike main dealer and used cars. Yes the "Tipo" i knew it well, the most top heavy race car built Roll Eyes Bill had a few wins in it, famously in the snow at Brands but gave up with it in the end. G
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:14:46 AM »

yes he said it was a heavy ole beast ,the shocks went off after only a couple of laps.....

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
grahamS53

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:27:24 AM »

I crewed on it a few times. From memory it was Avons the series ran on, which the old Tipo chewed up and spat out, so couple of laps in and it was "getting frisky!" put it on Yoko's and it was a different animal. Still it never slowed Bill down Grin G
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.