Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 09:34:36 PM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  It's official, you are listed in Wikipedia.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's official, you are listed in Wikipedia.  (Read 5652 times)
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« on: December 25, 2006, 08:46:46 PM »

www.131mirafiori.com
is now listed as a link on the wikipedia page detailing the Fiat 131 mirafiori.
The page seems a bit short on info when you compare it to other popular models of car, so lads if you wouldn't mind, would you beef up the page by adding verified facts / information re: the 131 production run, prototype cars, one-off factory specials, names of designers, test drivers in the prototype stage, ranking in international rallying success, anything factual and interesting, etc.

Have a look and you will see what I mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_131

Go on, make the world a better place.

We cannot expect Fiat to do this as they have had ample opportunity, even if they were so inclined.

If you don't want to do it yourself, just PM it to me in its finished form and I will TRY to whack it up on the page. Watch out though, I might take the credit for it...

all-italia.net
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:48:14 AM »

That's very limited information in Wikipedia for the 131 and I don't think much of the photo of the dented Supermirafiori. I am sure we can do better than that! In fact, as mentioned elsewhere on this forum, Simon Ryle's article on the 131 as posted on the FMC site at http://www.fiatmotorclubgb.org/Cars/Sr131/SR131prt1.htm is excellent and very detailed but stops at describing the first series 131. Simon has promised parts 2 and 3 and the whole article to be posted on this site. Maybe a shortened version of it can be posted on Wikipedia...

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 11:50:49 AM »

If anyone in here knows Simon Ryle personally,
could they inform him about the wikipedia Fiat 131 page problem,
and persuade him to upload his data to the relevant wikipedia page?

I'm not holding my breath on this one, but still, it would be nice.

all-italia.net
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 07:17:59 PM »

Has anyone made a start on generating informative articles for the wikipedia update project?

I would do it myself, only I do not have anything remotely like the depth of knowledge that is required.

For your info gents, Wikipedia is probably the first place a whole generation of people go to get unbiased reliable information, on nearly everything.

all-italia.net
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:37:24 PM »

A good many of the users on this site know me personnally, including Gerry Grin Grin

There are several things wrong with the info already posted to Wikipedia, not least that it states that series 1 131s were fitted with OHC engines - they were actually fitted with OHV (over head valve, aka pushrod) engines, with the exception of the Abarth, oh, and those sold in the USA. These details need to be corrected before we start detailing production numbers, prototype details, etc.

The problem with publishing any kind of model specific info is that of getting the facts correct. Many people have written something about the 131, but very few have tried to detail all of the facts. The reason behind this is two-fold.

Firstly the 131 is a complex model, produced in various countries, with various body types and numerous engine choices, over a period of some 20 years if you include the Turkish TOFAS variants. For example did you know that the series 2 FIAT 131 Panorama was produced as a 2000 diesel, in CL trim... in Belgium....yet it was still called a mirafiori!?!

The first part of the 131 Story I wrote back in January 2001, and it took me almost a month to collate. I pride myself with getting the facts right - which takes a considerable amount of time - this being the second difficulty.

The problem with a site such as Wikipedia is that this generic, incorrect info has been posted in the public domain for years, and many people have already taken it as 'gospel', so whilst there is a need to correct it, a few more months won't make any difference.

The saving grace now is that they refer and link to this site, where we can, and WILL, post factual model information. I don't think that we should be uploading anything to a different site, particularly as it us (me!) who has/will have spent the time and effort in researching the facts. Grin Grin

If anyone else would like to start to write about the 131 model history please do. I may know a fair amount, but I certainly don't know it all! Grin Grin Roll Eyes

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 06:12:19 PM »

Simon's "131 story (part 1)" now posted on our website.
http://www.131mirafiori.com/131story.htm
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:02:39 AM by Thotos » Logged

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 01:45:41 PM »

Question 1.
Is the link to,
http://131mirafiori.com ,
on the Wikipedia page for the FIAT 131,
generating/re-directing much (or any?) people over to this website?

Question 2.
Do ye' have any way of measuring traffic from that link?

all-italia.net
Administrator
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 02:39:23 PM »

Answer 1:

The Wikipedia link ranks 120 on the list of referring websites with 35 referrals in total. Compared to the top referring website (our own!) which gave 78,212 referrals, I'd say that Wikipedia referrals are obviously very welcome but not that many. To put numbers into perspective, Google has given us 420 referrals overall (adding all the worldwide Google sites' referrals).

Answer 2:

Yes (obvious really looking at answer 1)
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:44:12 PM »

A most excellent and informative answer, thank you!

all-italia.net
jasonh131

BILLERICAY ESSEX UK

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 08:49:45 AM »

It says ive only got 69 hp Angry but it not the size that matters ,its what you do with it Grin Grin Grin

On my 6 th 131 now Goldy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.