Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 06:02:03 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  The trip home...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The trip home...  (Read 11573 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: May 09, 2008, 11:37:44 PM »

This is a photo summary of the trip home with some of the more interesting shots to share (out of 302 photos taken - Aren't 4GB SD cards great? Wink)

The entire journey lasted 77 hours including 2 overnights in hotels, a 17 hour ferry trip, a long conversation about 131s with Mark in Waterford and 10 mins to pick up my Indian in Limerick earlier this evening! Overall I drove 2158 kms which is an average speed of 28km/h including stops!? Grin

I have not calculated petrol or toll costs but I reckon I spent about ?800 for all expenses including flights, ferry, tolls, food, hotels, etc. The vendor had offered to deliver the car for ?8/900 but then I would not have had the wonderful experience of driving across Europe in a Twin cam Fiat seeing the sights that I did and the mini adventures involving officaldom. In all it was a little holiday and I can not reccomend it enough - If anything it has made me even more determined to try to make sure that 3MA09 in Italy goes ahead. We can chat about that in Scotland maybe..over a few pints! Anyway here are (just a few) of those 300 photos. Hope you enjoy them.? Smiley

First fill up....of many...!

Climbing the Alps towards the Mont Blanc tunnel.

Having a rest at the top. Definitely a good picnic spot if 3MA09 comes this way!

Coming down the other side...

The other carriageway...! Climbing Mont Blanc from the French side..!

Studied concentration - Notice how the very efficient ventilation keeps the sagging roof liner away from resting on the driver's head!? Grin

Please Monsieur - Prenez une photo of le Tour Eiffel, la voiture et moi, well at least he got it mostly right!? Wink

In loads of time for the ferry so a little detour to the beaches of Normandy...

Omaha beach...

Continental driving complete...

Home at last...Next time I buy a car with a radio...!

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
eugene

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 11:51:53 PM »

Beautiful car Kev,well done.Those pictures are stuning.Thanks for posting those nice photos.Eugene

owner of 5 LADA NIVAS 4X4 a 1979 Opel Kadett Coupe and a 1975 FIAT 131 Mirafiori 1585cc
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:17:17 AM »

Looks like you got a really nice example there Kev, well done! I am looking forward to my visit to Italy in August (I will be travelling in a Mercedes this time). Looking at the photos of the beautiful scenery it is making me jealous!

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:34:36 AM »

Looks like a superb car Kevin (except for the headlining  Grin but that's easily fixed). Also looks like you had some nice weather for your long drive back. I really enjoy driving to and from Italy and those pictures make me very jealous; really looking forward to 2009 now...   Cheesy

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
Andy c

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:56:27 AM »

nice car kev reminds me of my old supermirafiori wouldnt mind another
makes me want some JD when i sold it to pay the rent  Cry
mind you was a few years ago now, well done again kev

Andy Cobb
Polegate East Sussex
bellamacchina

bellamacchina

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »

Great example of a very fine motorcar! Another one saved forever!!

Goodluck, congratulations you get next weekend in Scotland!

bellamacchina  Albert

Dronten  Flevoland the Netherlands
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:47:40 PM »

Sorry for the late addition to this thread Kev, been up to my eyes with working at weekends, civic duty at my kids' school, and in sorting mechanical and electrical layouts for the house extension works, etc., etc.,

What can I say about your journey home...? looks every bit as exciting as I remember it with my Abarth and Racing - except without the mechanical and electrical failures encountered by me! Roll Eyes I'm really envious of you Kev - car and trip! Wink

The car looks absolutely superb  Grin and so 'pure' in white too! Cool Love the 13" wheels with the liners..... Cool

You don't look very happy about your trip in your photo though mate Undecided You look as though you might have liked to have gone a little bit faster Grin Shame about the roof lining - but I'd have to disagree with Theo, it's not easy to permanently fix - unless you remove the fabric completely. (Suggestions on a postcard please Theo, cos I've been trying to find a perm solution for my Abarth since I purchased it - 4 years ago - despite spending a fortune on so called 'fixes' Grin)

I'm totally jealous Kev! I love the series 3 Super, in all of its engine sizes, so can't wait to see yours in the metal Grin The pics really get my juices flowing - here's looking forward to 3MA09 - The European Tour!!! Or should that be 'Italia or Bust!' Grin Grin

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
sid131

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:13:40 PM »

well guys for a permanent fix on the roof problem contact spud
http://131mirafiori.com/smf/index.php?topic=954.0
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »

Suggestions on a postcard please Theo,

Can't quite do it as concise as a postcard but have a look at http://gammaconsortium.com/lanciagammaforum/index.php?topic=7.0 for an article I wrote about replacing the headlining in a Gamma Coupe (you need to download the attached article at the bottom of the message post http://gammaconsortium.com/lanciagammaforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7.0;attach=7).
Same principles apply to the 131.

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 05:51:10 AM »

I'll start a new thread on roof linings under 'The Garage' so as not to hijack Kev's thread Wink

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
sid131

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 06:51:48 AM »

i have just reread the start of your post where you said 10 mins to pick up indian & theres me half asleep all day yesterday thinking you have an indian bike, stupid me ha ha ha .
bax131

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:53:02 AM »

Fascinating, the only word i've got for the view. Did PB Shelley in the 80's and everything is clear  now of why he's so into Mont Blanc!

(Can't figure out the `Indian' in the posting, sorry.)

1977 Fiat 131S Mirafiori 1.6
kev131
Founding Member

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »

Indian? - Takeaway! Chicken Korma, mushroom rice and garlic nan - Yum!? Grin

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »

Chicken korma!!!  Roll Eyes My seven year old daughter eats that Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

ger

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 11:14:35 AM »

What's an "Indian Bike" ?  Roll Eyes

Simon, after Kev driving all that distance and thoes speeds, i think a chicken korma is all he could handle. Otherwise he would need all that snow in the alps to cool down Wink Cheesy Grin

GER

Die Young at a Very Old Age.............3 times 131 owner(1300/1600cl & 2lt Gun Metal Grey Sport) and now the proud owner 01 Punto Sporting 1.2lt  6 speed 16 valve (black); 89 E30 BMW 316i; 96 Saab 900 ; and a 7 seater for the clan
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.