Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:18:42 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  The Garage (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  What a job!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What a job!  (Read 3866 times)
mirafioriman

My next project......

« on: October 12, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »

Finished off stripping the LHD Argenta today. The last thing to come off were the wishbones and the coil springs on the front suspension. What a job! With the shell stripped and engine removed it was really difficult to compress the springs. The springs ended up in a pretty weird shape, but came out in the end! No photos unfortunately, but one thing is for sure removing a 131 front suspension is much easier than removing a 132 or Argenta one!

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
djape1977

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 06:57:49 PM »

sure is. i did it a couple of months ago on my ex 132 1800 and it was a real pain removing them. it took a big crowbar in the end to take them off. i think that next time springs will come out first.
btw, did it have a rear anti roll bar?

get a bigger hammer!
mirafioriman

My next project......

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

No rear anti roll bar I'm afraid. It was only a 1600 perhaps only the 2000cc cars got them?

My name is David Hobbs and I currently own: Fiat 130 berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta, Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, 450 SEL 6.9 a 420 SEL, Citroen Xantia
djape1977

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »

i haven't been able so far to establish which models had rear anti roll bar. so far only argenta 2500td that i saw and no 132's. i think that it would be great handling upgrade if fitted on 132 or argenta. it shouldn't stiffen up the suspension, yet it should dramatically reduce bodyroll.
i've driven a peugeot 305 for a while and it had very soft ride with almost no bodyroll in the corners. i was amazed and decided to poke around a bit to find out what's the trick and sure enough, there was the rear anty roll bar.
on my lada 2104, after fitting a fiat 1.8tc, i quickly found out that i'll have to do something about the handling. the lada's rear suspension is almost exactly the same as on 131, including the panhard rod. i fitted shorter and thicker rear springs and got much less bodyroll, yet lost ride comfort. rear end is hard as a rock now. it's ok for a lada, but it would be a real shame to spoil 132's soft ride.

get a bigger hammer!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.