Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:51:27 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  General discussion (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  My Abarth getting sorted....I hope!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Abarth getting sorted....I hope!  (Read 10717 times)
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« on: November 17, 2006, 07:21:38 AM »

Hopefully my 131 Abarth is being properly sorted, without too much cost, by a chap recommended to me by Guy Croft. He's based in South London, and I'll let you know how good he is when I eventually get to drive the car again!

This chap is carrying out a full strip and service of the dizzy and the same for the carb including re-jetting.

I attach a couple of photos (if I've worked out correctly how to), one of the Arbie in the workshop and the other of the dizzy 'top plate' after it's been fitted with new components.

Cheers for now

Simon

[attachment deleted by admin]

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 07:22:50 AM »

Hopefully this will now show the car in the workshop Huh

[attachment deleted by admin]

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

'76 FIAT Abarth 131 Rally Stradale; 4 x '76-'78 FIAT 131 Special 4-dr; '79 FIAT 131 Sport; '16 BMW 520d M Sport 4-dr;
parrish

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:04:56 AM »

One very nice looking car. Smiley

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 11:26:44 AM »

Very nice looking car indeed!? ?Kiss? But would you believe that Simon who owns that lovely looking Abarth is threatening to attend the 3MA in a 131 Mirafiori 1600 OHV Automatic Estate?? Huh

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 12:30:46 PM »

That made me laugh Theo!  Grin

The threat still stands mate!

Incidentally - the wife asked me whether the whole family could attend the 3MA last night as both of my daughters have names from the area in Ireland we are planning to visit! (Shannon and Kerry!) What am I to tell her? Embarrassed

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

Thotos
Founding Member

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 01:02:51 PM »

The more the merrier..? Cheesy

You might HAVE to attend in the 1600 Estate to be able to bring the luggage for all the girls along ...? Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Enfield, UK
parrish

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 01:27:53 PM »

So problem solved bring two cars,which ones is the wife allowed to drive Roll Eyes

Steve Parrish owner of:  1977 131 4 door.
simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »

The wife is actually insured to drive ALL of my cars, but with good reason. Having her on each of my policies actually reduces the premiums! Shocked

Yes, the Arbie is a good looking car but could actually benefit from a bit of TLC from me! It under went an extensive overhaul over last winter which I wrote about on the FIAT Motor Club GB forum at the time. Basically it went to Italian Race Services (Mark Nicholson) near Basildon, for an MoT, but was one of those situations that grew without me really noticing. You know, "Whilst it's here can you just take a look at..."! Well, Mark had the car for almost 6 months and did virtually every job the car needed to get it straight again.

The jobs included

1) Strip all underbody protection, repair all floor sections that needed it, and replace under seal.
2) repair the leaking diff unit - which ended up as a complete refurb (which cost me a small fortune in itself!)
3) Re-new all suspension and anti-roll bar bushes with poly.
4) Replace both rear hub-carriers (at a cost of ?135 each just to buy them!)
5) Overhaul and re-seal all brake calipers.
6) Replace the complete front drop link assemblies (another huge cost).
7) Full major service on the engine, including timing belt replacement.
Cool Renew all brake pipes with custon made braided hoses.

These are just the things I can remember at the moment, but the list was endless at the time. I'd have to say though that the car now handles like a dream, and with the new engine works it should perform like one too! Grin

I'll let you know when I collect the car again tomorrow.

Cheers

Simon

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

simon131
Founding Member

Simon Ryle

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 01:07:36 PM »

The Abarth is now back where it belongs - at home with me! Grin Grin

The drive back from it's two week holiday was a pleasure, although the cost of this particular 'holiday' was high compared with what I thought it was going to cost! Shocked

The carb was refurbished with new gaskets, jets and needle valves, with the dizzy getting the same treatment with new cap, points, rotor arm and condensor. The plugs and leads were also replaced, as was the oil and filter.

The car now drives superbly, better than it has at anytime during my ownership, but it wasn't cheap (these things rarely are!). At least it appears to have been repaired properly first time, and it starts almost before you turn the key now.

The only slight downer is that the shims need adjusting, as the engine runs slightly rough when warm, but this will have to wait until I save up for it!!

Incidentally, the repairer was a chap called Mario Grech-Xerri, based in Tolworth, near Surbiton, Surrey. He certainly knows his stuff and I a pleased with the end result.

Simon Ryle
Hampshire, UK

fiatnut

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 05:30:11 PM »

i'm very jealous.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.