Click to go to back to www.131mirafiori.com Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:10:57 AM
Home Help Login Register

+  131mirafiori forum
|-+  131mirafiori home
| |-+  3MA News and other events (Moderator: Admin)
| | |-+  GKMR08...Report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GKMR08...Report  (Read 4789 times)
kev131
Founding Member

« on: October 05, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »

This is a short report on the weekend which began for some on the Friday afternoon in the hotel bar and went on until late evening. The last attendees arrived too late for dinner at around 11pm. Unfortunately there were a few very last minute cancellations ...some sad family news for some attendes and a breakdown on the way from Dublin. Commiserations to the affected family.

The hotel had reserved a car park next to the lake which was very useful but we awoke on Saturday morning faced with some of the wettest weather we have seen on any of our Fiat outings. Nevertheless we had 18 classic Fiats who had all braved the forecast and after a full Irish breakfast the group departed for the planned route. A planned coffee stop in Westport was the scene of some running repairs to the wiper mechanisms of 2 cars, both fixed with the ingenuity of the accompanying mechanics and drivers!

At this stage some of the cars decided to return to the hotel by a shorter route while the main group carried on regardless and toured the stunning (if we could have seen it) countryside. A few nice photo opportunities presented themselves before with common consent the route was slightly shortened again and after completing the Sky Road in near fog conditions (first opportunity to use my series 2 131 rear fog lights), we returned to the hotel to dry out and prepare for dinner and our table quiz (both after a few of us skived away to witness another Munster victory). Grin

The quiz itself saw about 40 people crammed into the room and divided into 5 teams. Brensports, Theredx19, Seamus and Sean Mannix and Tom Maher were all nominated team captains and the questions began. Quite soon it became apparent that what seems easy when putting the questions together while looking at the answer, answering them without that info was a little difficult. The questions were mainly a car recognition quiz, the only clues being pictures of dashboards, wheels, front headlights or rear light clusters (all classic Fiats with a few rogue non Fiats thrown in). Anyhow every one got through it and the winners turned out to be the odds on favourite, Theredx19's team - Congrats to Dave, Paul and and ... (who else was on that team..?) on winning a tough challenge. Wink Big thanks to Roisin & Tracey for doing all the leg work with collecting and marking score sheets!? Wink

There were some words about GK from his son and best friend so the man himself was duly remembered, and will continue to be so. And boy was I glad that Gerry had done such a thorough job of rust proofing my 131 in Dec 2006! The rain....!! Roll Eyes

I think that more drink was consumed afterwards but I cant say for certain. I'll let other contributors roport on anything that went on after midnight.? Wink

Sunday morning greeted us with the most extraordinary change in weather with the surrounding mountains and fjord bathed in sunshine. What was bleak and grey the day before was magically transformed and gave us a taste of the visual treats that Connamara has to offer visitors. Some time was spent kicking tyres and taking photos of lineups.... one attendee suggested that the cars looked like a box of smarties, such was the diversity and vividness of Fiat paintwork on display!

The convoy left Leenane for the last time heading for Kylemore Abbey for some group shots and the journey home.

There seemed to be a smile on most peoples' faces most of the time, even the WAGs... so I think (hope) that it was enjoyable, certainly the seemingly unanimous opinion was that it will be repeated.

Here are some pics - I will add more later.

PS - Thanks for the mirror Brensports.  Wink

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 07:27:13 PM by kev131 » Logged

Kevin Doyle
Fiat 131 Mirafiori Sport 2000TC
Fiat 131 Supermirafiori S3 2000TC
Limerick, Ireland
sam22

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 06:27:42 PM »

hi kevin.just  to thank you for a most enjoyable weekend,to the many new people that i met and hope to meet again,sorry the silver 127 did not make but it will be there for the next one,
  regards
 seamus mannix
ros

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 08:20:49 PM »

Had a brilliant weekend.. eventhough the weather wasnt favourable on Sat.,
Sunday, however made up for wet conditions. Beautifull scenery and driving conditions from Kylemore Abbey on route home.

'76 1600s mirafiori & '79 Sport owner. Thurles Co. Tipperary Ireland
theredx19
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:21:25 PM »

This had to be a must weekend for anyone into real cars and can not thank Kev enough for such a well run and well thaught out weekend and the Quiz was very good (especially with team Torino winning Wink Wink as the champagne was lovely Cheesy Cheesy)
ger

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:04:17 PM »

I was sorry that i could'nt make the whole weekend Embarrassed but we did make it up Sunday morning Grin. My 11 year old son Cillian made the trip with me, in our 01 1.2 Sporting Punto.
We met up with some of the cars leaving Kylemore Abbey, in what was breath-taking countryside with clear blue skies over head. Cillian was into picture taking mode. he got some great pics.
Got talking to Dave and Mark first at a petrol stop, then the rest of the convoy down the road. By all accounts the weekend went down really well and great praise to Kev131 for a well put together event Cool Cool Cool. I won't be missing next year and thats for sure. I hope the Gerry K. event becomes an annual one.
Cillian was impressed especially with the rear whell action of the 131's and Dave's squeeky tyre's(according to Cillian) is'nt that right Dave. Wink Cheesy Wink

tanx FOR A GREAT DAY.... GER & CILLIAN

Die Young at a Very Old Age.............3 times 131 owner(1300/1600cl & 2lt Gun Metal Grey Sport) and now the proud owner 01 Punto Sporting 1.2lt  6 speed 16 valve (black); 89 E30 BMW 316i; 96 Saab 900 ; and a 7 seater for the clan
Micko

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:58:49 PM »

Kevin
Great weekend in Leenane, Shame about the weather on Saturday, ruined what was a fantastic route. But the people and the cars more than made up for the weather. What a great job on the organising and looking forward to next years event.
Thanks again
Mick O'H
pintopower

6 Ford Pinto's, 4 Fiats, a barn, and 2 cats.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »

That looks like a lot of fun! I really dig the 127's! And, that is a really nice 3P!

1979 Fiat 131 Brava
1980 Fiat Strada
1978 Fiat 124 Spider
1980 Ford Pinto Wagon I4
1980 Ford Pinto Sedan I4
1979 Ford Pinto Wagon V6
1977 Ford Pinto Wagon V6
1974? Ford Pangra Wagon Turbo 4
1976 Fiat 128 3p
1986 Fiat Ritmo Cabrio
Los Angeles,
Kennedy of Sixmilebridge

all-italia.net

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »

Full credit to Kevin for the organisation and for providing motivation
to go to this meet up.

A very enjoyable weekend at a serene and beautiful location.

Roll on the next one !!

all-italia.net
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Disclaimer: This forum is available free and is part of a non-profit website run by volunteers for the benefit of owners and enthusiasts of the various models of the Fiat 131 and derivatives. Information is provided in good faith and no liability can be accepted by any individual for any situation arising from the use of this information.

Opinions expressed in this forum are those of the contributors and not of the website's owners, administrators or moderators who cannot accept any responsibility for the results of following any advice given by contributors.

The administrators and moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or delete anything they consider to be of a defamatory, discriminatory, derogatory, abusive or otherwise unacceptable nature.